• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4-speed starter relay

70X Driver

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy a good quality 4-speed starter relay? The ones on amazon look cheap and are cheap. Without going NOS, what are the options?

I’ve had an Echlin (Napa) on my 65 for over 10 years now.

Most of what I can find are automatic transmission relays. I will look on the NAPA site to see what they have.

Most of what I can find are automatic transmission relays. I will look on the NAPA site to see what they have.

The only difference between a relay for a manual and an auto transmission is a manual relay has an integral ground. You can use one for an automatic by adding a ground wire to the connector for the neutral safety switch. Otherwise they are the same relay.

The only difference between a relay for a manual and an auto transmission is a manual relay has an integral ground. You can use one for an automatic by adding a ground wire to the connector for the neutral safety switch. Otherwise they are the same relay.

Did it on a '65 Sport Fury. Used a DIY plug on one side of a short wire and a ring connector on the other side. Attached the ring connector to ground using a near by bolt.

10295.jpg

The only difference between a relay for a manual and an auto transmission is a manual relay has an integral ground. You can use one for an automatic by adding a ground wire to the connector for the neutral safety swi

As far I know, by 1970 4 speed Mopars got the same automatic unit, getting the ground from clutch pedal switch

Classic Industries sells MT relays

might have just been luck of the draw....I bought one from Classic when I got my car painted. The one on the car had overspray on it when the PO painted the car, so I wanted a nice shiney one to go with the new paint. Lasted less than two weeks. CLeaned up the old one and put it back on.

Auto Transport Service
Back