• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed Trouble

flatiron44

Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 69 Roadrunner 383 4 speed and I'm having trouble downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. That's the only issue I have. It shifts up through the gears fine. Any ideas what the problem could be ?

Sloppy shifter... would be my first thought, synros next if you are using the clutch. Can you power shift it back to second, meaning no clutch, just throttle and shift?

You may need a little more plate departure.
Seems to show up first on downshifts.

Hello,
I have a 69 Roadrunner 383 4 speed and I'm having trouble downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. That's the only issue I have. It shifts up through the gears fine. Any ideas what the problem could be ?
Is it any different when the transmission is cold or warmed up?

IMG_20201009_072904206.jpg
Please explain ?
I mean you should make sure the clutch is disengage far enough when the pedal is depressed
Clutch pedal free play is how it is described in the FSM.

What are you running for fluid? I would drive it till warmed up, then change the fluid.

View attachment 1011969
I mean you should make sure the clutch is disengage far enough when the pedal is depressed
Clutch pedal free play is how it is described in the FSM.

Sometimes a simple test in this regard is to simply push and hold the clutch pedal all of the way to the floor on this downshift to see if it improves a little. If so, a clutch adjustment will help.

If you are already pushing the clutch to the floor for shifts, skip the simple test and go right to clutch adjustment.

Why I told him to power shift it to see if it's just the shifter. I had a Mr Gasket that always hung up downshifting 3 to 2. Rule stuff out before he starts tearing **** apart. If he can power shift it smoothly it's not the shifter and probably not syncros... then we're into clutch issues or input shaft tight in a pilot bushing.. or...

Why I told him to power shift it to see if it's just the shifter. I had a Mr Gasket that always hung up downshifting 3 to 2. Rule stuff out before he starts tearing **** apart. If he can power shift it smoothly it's not the shifter and probably not syncros... then we're into clutch issues or input shaft tight in a pilot bushing.. or...

You keep saying power shift, which has a very distinct meaning for me. I think the words "clutchless shift" not under load might be better, if that is what you mean. And, surprisingly, not everyone knows how to do that.

....and not everyone 'wants' to do that. Parts are hard enough to find as it is, without encouraging further damage.

"..not everyone..." Hell, I would say no one.

I've known folks that have driven manual tranmission cars for years that had no idea that you can change a gear or even go to neutral without depressing the clutch. After driving their car's for about a minute, I'll show them how. They don't care.

As a passanger in manual transmission car, my left leg usually gets tired watching the driver.

"..not everyone..." Hell, I would say no one.

I've known folks that have driven manual tranmission cars for years that had no idea that you can change a gear or even go to neutral without depressing the clutch. After driving their car's for about a minute, I'll show them how. They don't care.

As a passanger in manual transmission car, my left leg usually gets tired watching the driver.
I worked with a guy when I was an apprentice, and he loved changing gears in the work van without the clutch. A real show-off.....and it wasn't his vehicle. I doubt he did that with his own car after work. I only ever change gears a couple of times without the clutch, and it was in an emergency - clutch cable broke in my work car. I didn't like doing it then, I don't enjoy doing it now.

To me it's like shoving a fork-full of food into your mouth while clenching your teeth. :eek:

I guess I'm just lazy. Never down shift for a stop. If I did down shift for a non-stop condition, just shift to the gear needed. Never hold the clutch in at a stop, and instinctively shift 3rd to 4th without the clutch as it was so easy and smooth and without a thought. 1-2 and 2-3 takes more finesse.

It does not hurt the transmission when done right, and will save on clutch and related parts.

Last edited:
I've driven all my standard cars "clutchless" since my brother taught me how to drive a GMC Astro when I was 13. If you've watched any of my videos you can hear it, up and down the gears when cruising.. no clutch. Drove my '90 T Bird Supercoupe the exact same way for years.

That was all I was suggesting as he wasn't really clear if it was hard to shift or his shifter is hanging up. Just a way to clear up it's not the shifter at minimum, but if nobody has ever taught or shown him a good point I guess. My son drives just like me, but I guess because I taught him..

Sloppy shifter... would be my first thought, synros next if you are using the clutch. Can you power shift it back to second, meaning no clutch, just throttle and shift?[/QUOTE
Thank you
please explain the process on how to powershift

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll begin looking for the obvious tomorrow loose parts and low fluid

please explain the process on how to powershift
You have to match rpm to gear as you shift. Up shift is easiest, clutch out and go in 1st, ready for 2nd.. off the throttle at the same time you pull shifter from one to two and it will basically fall into the next gear on it's own. Master that first.. don't force the shift. If it won't fall into gear your RPM's have dropped too low, tap the gas and try again or clutch it and try 2nd to 3rd next. Down shifting you come off the throttle pull it out of, say third, and then have to add throttle to match engine to trans rpm required for the next lower gear as you down shift and again do not force it, it should go clean on it's own if you've match drivetrain rpms. It's a coordination thing, both knowing your car, the sound of the drivetrain and correct gas pedal reactions. If you watch some of my videos on Youtube under "irishfield" you can't really see what I'm doing but you can hear it. Have always loved the sound of 2nd to 1st coming up to a stop sign and it sure saves on brakes and clutch wear.

As I noted, I had a MR Gasket shifter that was the shits for hanging up downshifting 3rd to 2nd. I'd have to push it back up in to third, wiggle it around and coax it back down into 2nd. That POS is in a dump somewhere..

Checked linkage rods and shifter today. Nothing stood out. I pulled out my service manual time to read up on Clutch adjustment

Auto Transport Service
Back