• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4-speed under dash reverse light

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
I just realized that my 4-speed 68 Charger, with a build date of 12/26/67 does not have the under dash reverse light, which leads me to believe that it must have come out later in the production year. There's not even a hole in the dash frame for it.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I just realized that my 4-speed 68 Charger, with a build date of 12/26/67 does not have the under dash reverse light, which leads me to believe that it must have come out later in the production year. There's not even a hole in the dash frame for it.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Maybe they didn't feel like putting one in!!! Maybe you have a one of one built n worth millions? Lol

I think it came in later. Ur old enuf to know when ur in reverse!! Late ‘68 maybe? May have been 69-70(?)

Well then I go with Monday/Friday difference. Ya gotta just love the differences. Jeff

Just curious was it an option or was it a standard item on four speeds?

It was the shifter, early inlands had the pull up handle, you knew when you were trying to get in reverse. Later Hurst shifters used the light, no pull up handle. Early dashes don't have the hole.

It was the shifter, early inlands had the pull up handle, you knew when you were trying to get in reverse. Later Hurst shifters used the light, no pull up handle. Early dashes don't have the hole.
Thats one of the best answers I've ever heard on here!

That would seem to make sense.

:thumbsup:

My new '68 Runner arrived at the dealer in April with the Hurst shifter and no reverse light.

My new A12 had one. 69.5

That was always my understanding as well.

My new '68 Runner arrived at the dealer in April with the Hurst shifter and no reverse light.
I'm reviving an old thread here, but i'm trying to determine what to do with my 68 Charger that's been converted from the Inland to the Hurst shifter. Ill either add the light I have, or change back to the Inland. I have a build date of B03 (November 3) If your Road Runner didn't arrive until April with a Hurst shifter and no light that tells me the changeover was on or about when your car was built. Do you have a build date? unfortunately it appears mine would be way to early to call it a Hurst car.

If you want the original looks, you can get the best of both; a Hurst new shifter mechanism that accepts the Inland shift lever. The reverse lockout won't work, but who cares.

SM-HI.jpg

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.php?cat=50

I've heard about these, and that may be the route I take. id sure like to keep the Hurst, but my car is just to early to fool anybody. Ill ponder it some more before drilling a hole in the dash for the light.

Auto Transport Service
Back