• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 cu in Magnum?

gus318

Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
Is the 400 in my 1972 Charger considered a Magnum engine. I have a chance to buy 2 nice 400 magnum emblems but don't want to put on if incorrect.

There is some debate over call-out use on cars without the "sport hood" option in 1972.

A Ralye Charger with a 400-4 would have gotten the "400 Magnum" call-outs on the hood bulge sides.

No one questions that.

An SE?

There is a specification in the FSM for placement of those same emblems on the upper fenders of "flat hood" cars.
(I find this odd, as the "natural" placement location to me would be the middle of the fender)

However, I've only ever seen ONE picture of a factory equipped car with those emblems in place.

I have seen lots of 72 400- 4 barrel cars in person, and none have had that emblem.

There is some debate over call-out use on cars without the "sport hood" option in 1972.

A Ralye Charger with a 400-4 would have gotten the "400 Magnum" call-outs on the hood bulge sides.

No one questions that.

An SE?

There is a specification in the FSM for placement of those same emblems on the upper fenders of "flat hood" cars.
(I find this odd, as the "natural" placement location to me would be the middle of the fender)

However, I've only ever seen ONE picture of a factory equipped car with those emblems in place.

I have seen lots of 72 400- 4 barrel cars in person, and none have had that emblem.
Yes it's a SE but I'm putting a bulge hood on it.

No one questions that.

An SE?

That is very interesting. I have never seen that. I would like to see that picture.

Flat hood SEs got the engine callout on the fender by the Charger emblem.
440 had it above the Charger and 400 had it below Iirc.
I had a72 SE and a friend had a 70 R/T.
He removed the 440 magnum emblems and we researched where they go on the SE and put em on my car.
It was an original 318 car and I put in a 73 360.

Again, I've personally seen dozens if not hundreds of (non-rallye) 72 400-4 and even a few 440 cars and NONE had an emblem.
I own one and there are no signs of an emblem ever having been in the described location.

There is a member on here that has one and his car does have the emblems.

That is the only one I have ever seen.

IMG_20200209_1106429.jpg
IMG_20200209_1106330.jpg
IMG_20200209_1106220.jpg

Just put my new AMD power bulge hood on. Changes the whole image of the car.

Mine have pins

I think that may be one difference between hood mounted and fender mounted. The other being the hood mount items were at least twice the size.

1972-dodge-charger-se-440.jpg

1972-dodge-charger-se-440.jpg

pretty much weird I can see two diff sizes ( if you look at the red SE... maybe a hood one there ? )... but these are 440Magnum. Dunno about 400 magnum

Those on the fender look like the E body hood call outs.

I have an original 73 bulge hood and it has emblem mounting holes.

I wonder how many of those SE pics above are restored cars that got emblems installed on the fenders because of the documentation and perhaps not because they actually had them as built.

I have seen some original brochure with that emblem on it, but can't find it anymore.

And i saw a survivor 72 SE on Carlisle back on 2008 with it.

Several cars from diff places with that emblem. I don't think all owners got agreed to put them on same spot.

Maybe the owner of the red one could got lost those and the closer he found was the Challenger hood one which is smaller than the Charger one I think, but still larger than the original?

I remember somebody selling couple of NOS ones on ebay of the small ones maybe 7-8 years ago.

I'm not saying I have the truth on this, but just what I have found in all these years.

However, I just have seen 440 ones and I can't recall have seen a 400.

Last edited:
Thread revival.

If you look at the pics Nacho posted, the alignment of the Charger emblem and the engine size emblem is different in all three pics.

I missed that the first time.

To me that suggests some or all are restos and were positioned per the book, not as the car was built.

Te white car even looks crooked.

I wonder if the emblems for this application have pins.

it sure would have been cheaper to use the Challenger hood emblems since they were already in existence.

Auto Transport Service
Back