• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 402 Oil Pan Pick up Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mopar_Mike

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
I need a 402 oil pan oil pick up tube with 3/8" thread. I bought a repo off ebay but the threads were not 3/8". Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Okay, just thought best you clarified as one is straight and windage is S shaped. I could have helped with a straight one! Good luck!

I’d like someone to show me a straight pickup that will clear the baffles and fit a 402 pan. I’ve never seen a factory engine 402 pan with a straight pickup. 383-2bbl

the windage tray and pickup pass each other right near the block, not where the bends are in the pickup. The bends are down low by the pan baffles.

I don’t have a block handy to try it on. I have the pickup flat on the bottom of the pan and conimg through the slot in the tray, then tray removed to show the fit.. I may have the pickup tube at the wrong angle.
But how can a straight pickup not hit the baffles? It’s a straight shot from the block past the windage tray, the curves are just above the baffles?

like above I’d like someone the show me a straight tube the fits in this pan.
I’m not saying is can’t happen, I’d like to see it.

C9D1C9D4-CCC2-4947-8138-351A1A929EA2.jpeg 239E2D08-322A-4479-9D8F-F5E9E5CD13D3.jpeg F949CDC1-6259-45D0-8588-EF70C4E07AD8.jpeg 0DE7BFC7-79BC-48BC-83F0-FF8596F49834.jpeg

They do not have one that will work without modification.

"The closest thing we carry is the 101-1010 pickup, which is the curved stock style. However, it may still require some modification to fit property. We recommend the distance between the pickup and the pan be about ¼” – 3/8”. You may need to bend the pickup or cut and weld it. There just aren’t many options being offered for oil pickups these days. Most of them have been discontinued. "

Last edited:
I don’t have a block handy to try it on. I have the pickup flat on the bottom of the pan and conimg through the slot in the tray, then tray removed to show the fit.. I may have the pickup tube at the wrong angle.
But how can a straight pickup not hit the baffles? It’s a straight shot from the block past the windage tray, the curves are just above the baffles?

like above I’d like someone the show me a straight tube the fits in this pan.
I’m not saying is can’t happen, I’d like to see it.
Guess I will have to dig it out.. the "jog" in the pick up tube is to clear the windage tray and allow the tube to get under it while allowing the tray to cover as much crank as possible. Without the tray there... a straight run to the pick up works just fine. I have never had any mopar, or engine that didn't use a 402 pan (other than my SB Dart) and I have the straight tube in my spares from when I was 17. That said... that was 42 years ago and I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong.. BUT I'm gonna dig it out.. LOL

The pick up tube was a real problem for me. I could not find one to work with the original 402 pan. They were all too long. I tried bending them, cutting and threading them and buying 3 different ones. I ended up using an aftermarket (stock) pan with an aftermarket (Stock) pickup with the windage tray. The one from 440 source was too long for the 402 pan. Best bet is to use an original pickup if you can find one.

Last edited:
I agree, I do not see why this should be such a problem finding a correct reproduction considering it was the factory set up on HP big block b-body cars for many years. However, it is a problem. I bought the mancini one.. lets see..

The Mopar design, the pickup should touch the bottom of the sump. I'd fit the pickup with the pan first, then adjust the windage tray as necessary to fit.

upload_2021-2-24_7-53-35.png

I too would like to see the straight pickup with a 402 pan. I've had several and mine all had a bent tube. I couldn't get a straight tube to clear the baffles. W/tray or not.

Okay, just thought best you clarified as one is straight and windage is S shaped. I could have helped with a straight one! Good luck!
mellling
63S4

The 402 Modified P/U from Mancini will work. I just bought the 402 power package. 68 Chargers did not have a HP383 even with a 4BBL, so no windage tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back