• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

408 Stroker... Kit and Heads

rebootej

Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
So I'm changing my mind. Just picked up a 360 block. I wanting/looking in to doing a 408 build. Looks like SCAT and Eagle are my main two options? Any advice on these? Or something else?
What about heads? Ive read a bit about running magnum heads but heard they are prone to cracking and I need different intake, push rods and lifters? Worth the hassle or not? Ive only built one engine before this so looking for advice thanks! Car is a 74 Satellite with an A518 trans.

I have edelbrock performer rpms on mine (LA 360). They are better out of the box than any factory head and only get better with porting. Also you can use all the stock rocker arms and pushrods. If you use aluminum heads of any sort, you need to go 1 point higher in your compression due to the heat transfer vs cast iron .

Talk to Rod at Bloomer's. I don't like Magnum-based heads because the valvetrain gets expensive, and fort he vast majority of builds the LA heads will make the power required in stock form. Have any head choice disassembled and the valve job addressed by a competent performance shop.

Auto Transport Service
Back