• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

41 willys

big rod daddy

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
I am building a 41 willys with a 5.7/auto (nags) car is done but cant get to shift.Been told will be a nightmare to make it work. Any help would be great.Will a 727 fit up or SOMETHING ? THANKS

What do you mean by nags? Are you able to drive it around but it just will not shift into any other gears?

Yes,goes foward & back but will not shift,goes into limp mode.Nag is the name of trans (made by m/benz) 1 of 2 types from factory installed in 2005.

Ok. What wiring harness and ECM are you using? I am really not too familiar with the w5a580 trans. but I will try to help the best i can. I would really suggest that you swap in the 545rfe trans that came in the Dodge Ram tho. You can get em for 2-300 bucks and the aftermarket supports them much easier.

Do you have a pin out diagram of the wiring harness? My first suggestion would be to check the pin that supplies power to the trans. Disconnect the main plug, turn the computer on and make sure that it is getting 12 volts

Sounds like an awesome project. Any pics?

O, and a 727 will fit up but do not go that route just yet. Once you get an electronically controlled modern overdrive trans in and working, you will be way happier. The 545rfe is actually a double overdrive, 4th and 5th gear are overdrives. IIRC 5th is 0.67:1 or something like that giving you lower RPM's on the highway and better mileage

You need to have a sensor hooked up to calculate wheel speed. The nags require it, no getting around....yet. Right now its in limp mode, so it wont hurt itself. Call Tony at Hotwireauto.com he can be more specific on whats going on.

Reluctor wheels are required on the rear axles to cumunicate with the TCM since the NAG1 has no sensors in the transmission whatsoever. The RFE545 has front and rear sensor's in the transmission and would be a much better choice (less headaches) than making custom reluctor wheels for the NAG1 that may or may not work. There is also a tailshaft conversion available for the RFE545 that has a gear drive for a speedometer.

Auto Transport Service
Back