• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 HEMI: how much valve lash?

TobiasM

Local time
9:11 PM
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

As the "search-function" was no help, I feel free to ask you other MOPAR-enthusiasts here:

I just checked the valve lash on my stock 1966 426-street-Hemi engine for curiousness with the following results (cold engine):

intake valves: lash min. 0.197" - max. 0.295"
exhaust valves: lash min. 0.276" - max. 0.335"

Depending on the point of view, either my messured lash-values are shooking lose or the stock-lash-values I found (IN .028" / EX .032") are shocking tight.

Anybody out there who can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S.: my engine runs properly, just checked valve-lash for curiousness)

.028 Intake and .032 exhaust for a stock 68 hemi....not sure if the 66 was any different or not. But "stock" being the operative word. And it should be at operating temp.

It depends upon what cam is in it and what the lash ramps will tolerate. If it's a solid roller, lash it up tight. Those stock rockers are garbage but you can get by with them if you put a good adjuster and lock nut in. I ran .011 intake and .013 exhaust with my last roller cam/stock rocker combo. Solid flat tappet cams I ran were more like .020 and .022 hot.

Hi everybody!

As the "search-function" was no help, I feel free to ask you other MOPAR-enthusiasts here:

I just checked the valve lash on my stock 1966 426-street-Hemi engine for curiousness with the following results (cold engine):

intake valves: lash min. 0.197" - max. 0.295"
exhaust valves: lash min. 0.276" - max. 0.335"

Depending on the point of view, either my messured lash-values are shooking lose or the stock-lash-values I found (IN .028" / EX .032") are shocking tight.

Anybody out there who can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

(P.S.: my engine runs properly, just checked valve-lash for curiousness)

Are you sure your getting 1/8" to 5/16" on the intake, and 1/4" to 3/8" on the exhaust???

My 1966 National Service Data book also calls for Intake 0.028" cold, and Exhaust 0.032" cold. If your valvetrain is not hammering, possibly someone has put hydraulic lifters in when there should be mechanical lifters. Once the engine starts, the lifter takes out the extra clearance when it pumps up.

Are you sure your getting 1/8" to 5/16" on the intake, and 1/4" to 3/8" on the exhaust???

My 1966 National Service Data book also calls for Intake 0.028" cold, and Exhaust 0.032" cold. If your valvetrain is not hammering, possibly someone has put hydraulic lifters in when there should be mechanical lifters. Once the engine starts, the lifter takes out the extra clearance when it pumps up.

Hi there, sorry for delayed response. Yes, I am very sure about the messurements, tried two different methods and both showed the same (given above) results. Only mistake might be WHERE at the valvetrain I messured the lash. I will post a picture on SUN or MON that shows you where I messured the lash.

0.028"IN/0.032"EX...ok, so I already hat the right factory-numbers. But sorry, those lash-numbers are close to nothing!!! I supposed them to be 0.xx numbers and not 0.0xx numbers... very amazing. Can it be excluded that those 0.0xx numbers are just a typo in the literature?

How can I figure out by removing the valve-cover if some changed the mechanical lifters to hydraulic ones, please?

THANKS!

I re-read my Motors manual a little closer .... I believe for a solid lifters the .028 / .032 sound correct.

.060 - .210 with lifter collapsed ... if you have hydraulic lifters

Hi there, sorry for delayed response. Yes, I am very sure about the messurements, tried two different methods and both showed the same (given above) results. Only mistake might be WHERE at the valvetrain I messured the lash. I will post a picture on SUN or MON that shows you where I messured the lash.

Ok, as my camera failed at first attempts, I am now able to provide you the Pictures of WHERE at the valvetrain I measured the valve-lash.

The concrete pic shows valve-lash-measuring at cylinder #1 EXH-valve.

Did I do anything wrong in measuring?

Attachments

• P1080055klein.jpg
    P1080055klein.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 501
Auto Transport Service
Back