• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 street wedge

More information!!! Casting #'s, date codes, bore, etc.

I sold one a while back that needed sleeved and needed decked for $500. I was happy, the buyer was happy, so...

whats a good price for a block

All depends on if you need one or not and if you can find one that fills the bill. I have a '65 Coronet that is an original 426W car but the original block was long gone. I looked around a bit for an A426 block but didn't find one. I ended up using a B426 block that I found. I tried to sell the B426 block but nobody was interested. I think it only went into a few cars built in early '66 so there wasn't much demand for it. Since I couldn't find a buyer I just used it. If I had found a super clean A426 block I suppose I would've paid $500 to $1000 for it but the B426 block worked for me. I'm not trying to do a perfect restoration anyway.

well, i have a 426 S W block cast #2406730-1 date 1-17-64. bore is 4.25 measured at at machine shop. it was cleaned twice and pressure tested. all is good.bought from a person in NJ. he told me it was in a guys basement just sitting for years and he was going to scrap it if it wasn't removed. i'm wondering if it was a factory replacement block that never was used. (is there a tag on these factory replacements like the HEMI) there is no ridge at top of cylinder. there is very little rust on cylinders and seem like i can feel the cross hatch from honing. stock dia. of cylinder is 4.25 so it seem like it was never built before. and sadly no, there are no reliefs at the top of cylinders. (indicating max wedge)

If you want to sell it then post some pictures and go from there. Is there anything stamped on the ID pad up front? Seems like that was early enough to be put into a 1964 car if it was a production block. If it was a warranty block then the ID pad might be blank. If it was my block I'd probably ask $1000 for it but who knows, maybe someone would be willing to pay more for it.

ID pad reads : V 42(IRON CROSS) 4 29 HP not looking to sell just info.

All depends on if you need one or not and if you can find one that fills the bill. I have a '65 Coronet that is an original 426W car but the original block was long gone. I looked around a bit for an A426 block but didn't find one. I ended up using a B426 block that I found. I tried to sell the B426 block but nobody was interested. I think it only went into a few cars built in early '66 so there wasn't much demand for it. Since I couldn't find a buyer I just used it. If I had found a super clean A426 block I suppose I would've paid $500 to $1000 for it but the B426 block worked for me. I'm not trying to do a perfect restoration anyway.
whats the diff. between a A426 and a B426?

Auto Transport Service
Back