• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 street wedge

Dave L

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,i,m still gathering parts for my 65 coronet.I was lucky enough to find a correct date code street wedge engine,and two trans one is a 18 spline and the other is the original trunion type.Anyways I took this engine to get it bored .030 and found out it needed line bored.Now I need pistons,so I mite as well stoke it.Is there any good reasonable stroke kits out there? Will a 426 .030 hemi piston work.Thanks Dave

Crank and rods are easy. Good luck finding anything other than custom made pi$ton$. No, hemi pistons won't work in a wedge application. You need flat tops at zero deck to build a good quench engine with closed chamber heads.

Anyways I took this engine to get it bored .030 and found out it needed line bored.Now I need pistons,so I mite as well stoke it.Is there any good reasonable stroke kits out there? Will a 426 .030 hemi piston work.Thanks Dave

I don't understand the correlation between getting the cylinders bored .030" and having the main bearing saddles line bored. Am I missing something here?

Dave,Dave L is a good friend of mine,only 1/2 hr away,I think he told me someone cut the main caps at one time and the bearings were shimmed .What confused me as the fact that the bearings were standard as was the crank,can't figure how standard bearings,standard crank and then add shims would work unless you shimmed the caps and they weren't shimmed.

What I was tring to say is the block went for machine work and it was bored and also needed line bored.I still need a good place to get pistons or get them made.A lot of times I can't figure me out either

Pistons Hughes engine has a selection of 426 wedge.

I think standard 440 pistons will work if you bore it 60 over. Probably more than you want to go though.

Date coded "correct" engine adds little to no value in this particular car. Dump the used up 426 block and find a good, used 440 core. Cheaper, easier to find parts and looks the same.

I guess it would depend on how much you want to invest and block condition.if block is standard bore,possibly honing would clean it up then you are only looking at rings and bearings,boring,the cost goes up,cost to bore,rings & custom pistons. ( not much selection for a .030 426 ) As said above,I personally think a 440 is a better choice,both new and used pistons are plentiful and once it's in the car you can't tell the difference.Unless you are trying to make every nut and bolt as it was when new,it's a no brainer in my opinion,but your choice !

Diamond Racing in Detroit, Ron Beaubien is a great Rep that will work with you and very Mopar Savvy they make pistons for many Nascar teams.

Hello, Well its a little late I'm already into this 426 to turn around and get a 440.I will get into the piston thing on monday.I have already got some prices any where from $450.00 to 700.00 with file fit rings.I met a fellow that has alot of stroke stuff for mopars everything I need but pistons.He a dragracer and a machinist with his own shop.He said to me this is a one stop shop store real good guy with good stuff .I have been shoping and his prices seem to be ok.I will continue to shop untill I find the best deal.After all I have not hit the lottery Dave

Hello, Thought I would give you a update.First off my garage isn't big enough to do all I want to do.My friend paul R who done my machine work on my 426 wedge block said I could keep my block there untill I'm ready.I'm starting scraping under coating off my car.Boy do I hate that job in 85 degree weather.I will continue to look for other parts as the body work gets closer to paint.I still have a ways to go.I'm going to ask Bill O for help posting some pictures. Dave

Vito 9-23-12 (6).jpgthanks dave, please keep us posted.
I am very interested how well this works out......you can be my "test build"

Keep us posted, Dave. I'll follow along as I plan to build my 426 some day.

Hello All, He is a few pictures of my dodge coronet Enjoy Dave Ldodge coronet 147.jpgdodge coronet 148.jpgdodge coronet 149.jpgdodge coronet 150.jpgdodge coronet 151.jpgdodge coronet 152.jpg

dodge coronet 155.jpgdodge coronet 159.jpgdodge coronet 165.jpgHello,I just waned to show you people how close this truck was from falling off.I bought the Dodge and had it trucked to Pa,It was alot cheaper than going after it Anyways the truck driver had a truck that he used for a winch to get the car on board.and to unload it.A little more rear end play and it could have been ugly.The wife and I towed the car to its new home.Lucky for me a couple of my friends stoped by a gave me a push into the garage,Dave L

Looks like a nice project.

426W pistons can be custom made from just about anyone or ordered from EGGE. I am putting a 426W in my 69 RR and was lucky enough to find a set of good used Ross pistons at a reasonable price. I cut the domes off to get a zero deck flat top. With closed chamber heads and a Fel Pro comp gasket I end up with 9.6:1 CR. Should be goof for our crappy 91 pump gas.

Auto Transport Service
Back