• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 wedge

muscle72

Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
I got a real 426 wedge block today with crank only.l was wondering if 383 standard ly rods would work? places to get pistons for it?

I think the pistons might be a little tough to find, or limited choices or something like that? 413's pistons are the same way. Everything else is just common 440 parts basically

Think of the 426 wedge as just a small bore 440 ?
and any romantic notions aside to the "426" name.... that's all it is.... and regarding performance potential it's basically a small bore 440 Wedge.

3.75" Stroke Crank
6.760" Rods
4.250" Bore

Pistons are a biatch... custom ?

Hmm, with a longer rod you could probably use a 383 piston.

In a 3.75" Stroke Crank RB Block(10.72" Deck Ht), and using 6.76" LY Rods..... around a 2.08" Compression Distance Piston would be a "Zero Deck" ?
But that said.... good luck finding anything even remotely close in a 4.250" Bore oversize ?

So seeing as how the 426 std bore is 4.250" ? and .030" over at 4.280".... etc.
Maybe get it Sonic Tested and opt for a Std Bore 440 Piston at 4.320" or .070" over on the 4.250" Bore 426 ?

Check with summit. Got my 383 crank rods out of Texas. They where limited on how many they had in stock. May run into the same problem with the 426. Think I would go with a 440 over the 426. But it is up to each one what they want. Steel piston's with floating rod's. Could not find any press pin piston's.

Check with summit. Got my 383 crank rods out of Texas. They where limited on how many they had in stock. May run into the same problem with the 426. Think I would go with a 440 over the 426. But it is up to each one what they want. Steel piston's with floating rod's. Could not find any press pin piston's.
It was for sale on here at one point the 426 was. the seller couldnt sell it and basically gave it to me.he wasnt goin to use it at all.l need 440 rods 383 won't work since its a rb 426 is.l have a 440 and 383 this 426 wedge will be spare engine.if something happens to the one of the others.

Last edited:
Any good piston mfg can make pistons for that engine. More $$$? Yes... but I havent screwed together an engine in the last 40 years that took shelf slugs.

Call JE, RaceTec, Arias, Wiseco, Diamond....Ive used them all.

I got a real 426 wedge block today with crank only.l was wondering if 383 standard ly rods would work? places to get pistons for it?
If you are looking to restore this, I have a factory intake for a 426 wedge. According to the casting #s.

If you are looking to restore this, I have a factory intake for a 426 wedge. According to the casting #s.

I think I have a set of early Stage rods that would go very nice for a Clone Maxie build too..... putting together a real 426 wedge is only a challenge because of the pistons (cost for custom), and the maxie heads, but it would be very cool to build something vintage and not compromise by butchering it into a 440 or some such. (just my 2 cents). Crossrams are out there, heck i even have a vintage NASCAR max port single carb manifold....

A couple things to have in mind, mostly if you’re going for a stock rebuild vs higher performance / custom stuff.

426W had 750g pistons, not 832g like a 440. Crank is balanced differently for this. You’ll want to re-balance if you use a 440 crank or 440 weight pistons.

426W pistons are unobtanium in non-custom world. You can get stock cast piston clones for a 413 though from rebuilder’s choice at .060 and .080 over which can work if your bore is decent. You’ll get factory compression ratio with those.

There are likely guys that have good used 11.0:1 426 Maxie pistons around. Using them with a set of "452" heads would bring compression down around 10.0:1 if you are looking for a 426 Street Wedge build rather than a Max Wedge. As someone else already mentioned, a balance job is a good idea when using mismatched parts. Run a WTB ad for 11.0:1 Max Wedge pistons.

I’m building a 426 Street Wedge for my car. It will be 30 over with a 4.25 crank with Chevy big block rods. It will end up being 489 cu in.

I think I have a set of early Stage rods that would go very nice for a Clone Maxie build too..... putting together a real 426 wedge is only a challenge because of the pistons (cost for custom), and the maxie heads, but it would be very cool to build something vintage and not compromise by butchering it into a 440 or some such. (just my 2 cents). Crossrams are out there, heck i even have a vintage NASCAR max port single carb manifold....
I seen custom pistons aren't cheap.if anyone has any good used ones for sale id be interested.i need 030 over ones.

I’m building a 426 Street Wedge for my car. It will be 30 over with a 4.25 crank with Chevy big block rods. It will end up being 489 cu in.
Where you get pistons for it at?

Auto Transport Service
Back