• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440-25 Indy crossram on a B1

Dartari

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
As the title indicates a friend of mine would like to put one on his B1 motor in his 64 Belvedere I told him I’ve never heard of anyone doing this but I told him I would pose the question on this website so my question to all of you have you ever heard of anyone doing this and if yes who did it and what did it take to make it work

Just like any standard Max wedge port intake. Requires spacers between the intake and the head. Dan Jones runs one. Scott Koffel motor.
Doug
b1 indy intake.jpg

I think I see "pop panels" in that picture. (the things that blow in case of a backfire so the intake is less likely to explode)
I've read that they are prone to backfire, badly, if proper starting procedures are not employed.
Basically don't have the throttle blades closed, and don't over "prime" the intake before you crank it.
More experienced forum members chime in corrections/confirmations please!
I like the look as far as I think it would work well!

Man! That is a SWEET looking intake!
I have to find the time to check the height for hood clearance and see how I can incorporate my N96 Air Grabber with the Weiand 6bbl intake I finally got.
I really like the look, and I have great expectations for the ultimate performance once I get it dialed in.
20200130_160341.jpg
20200130_155908.jpg
20200130_160608.jpg

This is what happens when you start them wrong. Good thing it was not in the trailer with the hood on. Yes I got to test my fire system. This one has a non modified plenum. With correct starting technique never an issue since.
Doug
0523132006.jpg

I've never tried it. I bet it helps the smaller cubic inch motor. Not so sure with mine.
Doug

I know of 6 NSS folks running theirs modified like that. Some say they are quicker, some say nothing changed. I believe all of them I know of are 540 and smaller combos in fairly light cars. I would like to see back to back numbers with an unaltered -25, this modification -25 and then my modified modman just to see. The ET I have run and the weight I am at compared to the other cars says I am pretty close in HP. Thats with their Holley setups and me on edelbrocks.

I tried Quickfuel Holleys a while back. 9.04@149. 750 Eddys have been 9.00@150. Dechicco offered to let me test his but mine needed to be cut to fit. So far the stock one seems ok.
Doug

Last edited:
This is what happens when you start them wrong. Good thing it was not in the trailer with the hood on. Yes I got to test my fire system. This one has a non modified plenum. With correct starting technique never an issue since.
Doug
View attachment 912112
Doug,
Looks like the bolts sheared? Or did they all pull out? Or....?
Was I right or close re: starting procedure?
What do you describe as the best practice to start w/no BOOM?

Pulled the threads out. Funny just went pfftt. No loud bang. Procedure; 1st start 3 pumps, let it set 30 seconds, then one more pump. Crank with ignition on. Cold start towel over the carbs then the same deal. Warm start 1 pump, wait 20 seconds same crank. Always throttle cracked about 25%. Usually starts in 2 revolutions or less.
Doug

Always throttle cracked about 25%.
Thanks Doug!
I'm sure that is critical.
I had sent :lowdown:@andyf a PM about the
440-25 intake because I REALLY like the looks of it, and I had just committed to the new BME aluminum block and a 541 cu in displacement, and the 3x2 induction is and always will be mandatory, and I'm sure the 440-25 could have a 3x2 top and work fine, but AndyF said no way would it fit under my hood, so I crossed the 440-25 off the list and I am fortunate to have scored a very nice Weiand P3690982 6bbl (pictured earlier) so that's that.
Anyway, I enjoy learning about the 440-25 to see if my intuition is fairly accurate or way off base.

Pulled the threads out. Funny just went pfftt. No loud bang. Procedure; 1st start 3 pumps, let it set 30 seconds, then one more pump. Crank with ignition on. Cold start towel over the carbs then the same deal. Warm start 1 pump, wait 20 seconds same crank. Always throttle cracked about 25%. Usually starts in 2 revolutions or less.
Doug
I don't understand when you say …. cold start towel over the carbs then same deal...please expand...thanks a lot.

The towel acts like a choke when its 45-50 degrees or less ambient temp. Actually I use a large cloth fender cover. That way you can reach out the window and hold it. Once its running just pull it off. Gets cold up here.
Doug

Actually I use a large cloth fender cover. That way you can reach out the window and hold it.
Yes...it hasn't ever happened, but I have imagined an underhood or otherwise similarly placed towel getting tossed about by the spinning radiator fan, and the ensuing mayhem.

Auto Transport Service
Back