• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 belt squeal

P15

Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
Almost finished with my 70 RR restoration, but a few bugs to get out. Anything above
2500 rpm my fan/power steering belt squeals. I installed a Vintage Air system and is driven by the alternator belt and that is fine, but the single belt that drives the fan and power steering is slipping causing the water pump pulley to get hot. I installed a 7 blade fan with a thermostatic clutch, could that be too much load for a single belt? New belts were installed with the rebuild and the belt is flush with the outside of the pulley. Belt is tight as a fiddle string. Any ideas?

Tighten it some more. If it is slipping it is loose. Might seem tight but it is not enough. Yes the fan is a load. We used to see this on all the old C-Bodies in the shop. Tighten it a bit more and no more slip.

What ^^ he said, but also make sure the belt isn't slightly too narrow and riding the bottom of the grove vs the sides.

Gates belt and pulley alignment is right on.Just wondering if I should look for a five blade fan. I will try to tighten it a little more, its only got about an hour of run time. Thanks for the suggestions

hit the belt sides with a candle, just let it hit and pick up some wax.

I very likely painted the entire pulley, so I will get that sanded off. What purpose does the candle wax serve? Wouldn't that act more as a lubricant causing the pulley to slip more?

After you sand the pulleys, you may need a belt , slipping may have glazed it up.

Just wondering, does anyone use "Belt Dressing" any more?

If it is a segmented belt replace it with a solid belt. They do not stretch as much.

Thanks for the advise, I sanded the paint from the fan pulley groove and retightened the belt. Took it to 4k with no belt noise.

Auto Transport Service
Back