• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 build

Ronald Weishaar

Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440 0.30 over. The cam is a Comp # CL 21-228-4. The question is, can I use my stock stamped Mopar rockers and push rods? The Heads are Stage V (P5249112 2.14 int./ 1.81 exh) with dual spring (077).

i dont see why not. i have ran a .525 / 305 with stock mopar rockers and push rods.

You might get away with it, but why. You have that upgraded cam and heads, stamped rockers are gonna cost you lift. Some have reported their actual ratio to be closer to 1.4 to 1..besides that though geometry with bigger-than-stock cams is not good. Another issue with them, is with the spring pressure you (should) be running, how long before a pushrod pokes through one...no good. They may "work" but to negate some of the benefit of your cam/heads and roll the dice with reliability, in my opinion it's not worth it to cut a corner here on what sounds like a nice performance street engine...just some things to consider.

XE 285 HL good cam but why make us look it up I do not have comp part numbers memorized
you are at .545
I've done it when required by rules- and with frequent inspection
HD rockers would have been used which AFIK are no longer available
I'd run oil through the pushrods to help the pushrod tip push through issue
I would NOT run used pushrods and rockers as the increased both up and down angle causes the pushrod to ride over the wear ridge from the previous cam.
The rockers also wear from shaft radial motion, which you are increasing
Check your stem heights- you do not want low stem heights
you are running about 100 thou more lift than stock
so you want about .050 higher stem height than stock to also get an additional .050 down and keep the rocker smooth across the valve tip
you could run thin lash caps to spread the load out
If you are going to buzz this thing up on a regular basis :) then run the best and largest dia pushrods you can get
Me I'd use Iron rockers, bronze bushings, industrial hard chrome shafts as set up by rocker arm rebuilders in Nor Cal- they know what they are doing and can advise on adjusters and pushrods
roller tip rockers will require a B3 kit to work properly
this is not a just stick it in and go cam
and degree it in properly

someone else just posted- also what he just said

You'll be much happier with a new set of 1.5 rockers and new push rods. I finally changed mine in my 440. Very happy with them.

Don't do it with that big a cam.. Replace them both. The rockers won't last long., the push rods will bend.....and those upgrades are inexpensive vs metal filings from rocker wear and a ruined camshaft from a messed up valvetrain.

And you don't need some $750 set of rollers, check the for sale threads for a set of ductile iron rockers.

You might get away with it, but why. You have that upgraded cam and heads, stamped rockers are gonna cost you lift. Some have reported their actual ratio to be closer to 1.4 to 1..besides that though geometry with bigger-than-stock cams is not good. Another issue with them, is with the spring pressure you (should) be running, how long before a pushrod pokes through one...no good. They may "work" but to negate some of the benefit of your cam/heads and roll the dice with reliability, in my opinion it's not worth it to cut a corner here on what sounds like a nice performance street engine...just some things to consider.

if you get the mopar performance and chrome molly push rods i NEVER had a problem and as i said i ran a .525 / .305 for 7 years had to change springs 1 time in 7 years ran 11:40's 117 mph with a 1.54 60 foot when i put my stroker together i used crane gold rockers and had more problems with push rod adjusters breaking so it will depend on how you drive it and maintain the engine and as said here make sure installed spring heights and how the rocker rides on the valve stem and center line the cam. i would advise get the mopar performance engine book and read it to know for yourself.

Last edited:
I opted to go stainless steel adj. rockers from Marsh. I really didn't want to, but after all the other stuff done to this motor, it seemed silly not to. Pushrod ended up being a stock Pontiac length.

Talmek
If these super duper stainless rockers have roller tips you need a B3 shim kit or similar to get anywhere near correct geometry
if you have not already done so go to the B3 racing engines website and read all four tech articles
maybe start a new thread
new stock Pontiac or any other stock pushrod is a disaster waiting to happen with most any high performance cam- really long pushrods
take it really easy till you get it sorted out
what springs? and what are your spring pressures and installed heights?
did you check that all the stems are same height?

Vance
are the good mopar performance parts even available? but they do work if you can find them
also oil has changed
EP oil is required for stock rockers as well as cam and lifters
I would not use SN dino oil
maybe the new Corvette Dexos 2 would work- much better base stocks than dino

Last edited:
Can anyone inform me of what are some good choices of reliable rockers 1.5 to 1 and push rods that don't cost an arm and a leg. thanks

We were able to buy Crane ductile iron 1.5s on sale... can't remember who had the sale... Looks like they run $420. I think we got ours for $280. Most 3/8 4130 chrome moly ball and cup push rods are typically around $120 a set.
There are several cheap aluminum roller rockers brands. Not sure about any of them because we have only have run harland sharps. But I am sure there are plenty of people that can share both good and bad experiences with them. Keeping with nonadjustable rockers the old MP rockers and a nice pushrod like Vance was running would work fine if you can find some. I have seen people selling hd stamped steel rockers...but I know nothing about them. Mancini racing has some listed as Heavy duty. I''d be surprised if they are as good as the mopar performance ones...its just a phone call to see what they say with your cam.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back