• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 build

nigel

Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
So im building up my 440 and I have a few questions regarding piston orientation. I'm using sealed power l2266f30. What I noticed is the wrist pin is offset in the piston so that would indicate that the drivers side bank arrow would face forward while the passengers side would face rear to keep them the same. I believe I am correct but if not feel free to give some advice.
Also I had the machine shop install the pistons onto the rods and what I noticed today while installing new rod bearings if I run the pistons as stated above the rod chamfer won't be on the Web side of the crank and the squirt hole (which is useless seeing as modern bearings don't have a notch) will be facing the block wall instead of the cam. Is this a major issue where I will have to have the machine shop rotate the pistons 180 degrees on the rods?

The notches in the pistons should all point forward. Or arrows.. Whichever those pistons have. I used Sealed Power pistons in my 440. Here they are all arrows pointing forwards. I had the machine guy setup all my rods and pistons. Mine were labeled 1 through 8. If I were you I would have them double check the rods and the direction if you are totally unsure.

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

Last edited:
The pins should be offset in the same direction. When looking from the front they should all be offset to the left, which is towards the major thrust side of the cylinders. All the arrows should face forward as noted above.

Regardless of where the pistons are the rod chamfer must face the radius of the crank.
Doug

Awesome. Thanks for the replys everyone.

6 pack Pistons have offset pins but can be hung either way. We used to reverse hang them back when we ran them. Just make sure the rods are installed correctly.

So I installed the pistons to the block. All arrows are pointing to the front and chambers face the crank Web. It took 2 days to install them but thankfully it's done. Reason it took two says I was in a wreck and in a lot of pain but I refuse to get anyone else to do the work. No pain no gain. Hopefully won't be much longer before the motor can be installed

Auto Transport Service
Back