• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 cam question

MWFan

Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
I have a very nice running 440 in my Polara. It was "built to Magnum spec" per previous owner. I have a buttload of receipts that go back to 1998, two owners ago. One group of receipts come from Performance Automotive Warehouse and includes a "cam P4120235" which when Googled says a Mopar purple shaft 484/284 cam. This motor idles so smooth that several people have said it could not be the 484/284 cam.
I just pulled the intake to replace the pan and gaskets and the cam does have a purple shaft. Do stock Mopar cams have purple painted shafts?
With the amount of receipts and detailed paperwork provided, I find it difficult to imagine that if the cam were replaced since the engine was built in 1998, there would not have been a record of it. I have receipts for spark plugs, oil and underhood decals...
I suppose my question is could the P4120235 cam idle smooth enough to pass as a stock cam?

Thanks! Bernie

Yes, I think that is today's 6 pack cam. Without pulling the paper work, I think it's the same cam I put in my Superbird when I freshened it's 440. Idles great and I think passes for stock. And yes it has purple between the lobes at one end. Built that engine in 2001.

Indicate it to be sure...…….
upload_2019-12-10_14-53-57.png

P4120235" which when Googled says a Mopar purple shaft 484/284 cam. This motor idles so smooth that several people have said it could not be the 484/284 cam.
Yes, I think that is today's 6 pack cam.
"Street Hemi" cam is what I knew them as, but that is the old school term.
I'm as sure as I can be without measuring that my cam is the 292°/.509 Purple Stripe cam, (It's purple between the lobes) Mopar's largest hydraulic cam at the time I believe.
The biggest reason why the fairly stock 440 6bbl wants to, LIVES to pull HARD to 6,200 RPMs. Shift light set at 5,800, rev limiter set at 6,200 RPMs.
I LOVE the way it sounds!

As I listened to @biomedtechguy , video the Mopar 509 sounds good, but I like the Racer Brown 509 version a little better. I don't think it's available anymore or where they went, but if I found another, I would probably buy it.

The stock Six Pak cam had a lift of .450 intake and exhaust of .464; duration was
268 degrees intake and 284 degrees exhaust.
The purpleshaft (hydraulic) cam "next step up" was the 284/.484 one.
Here's mine (you can actually hear the lope):

Based on Sonny and Ed's videos, my car has a purple cam, but it AIN'T a 484/284.

Thanks.

I loved my old cam
It was the 484/284 cam
Ran 8:20s (1/8th mile) in a 3800 lb car on street tires and through the exhaust. and the purple is pretty cool too!

I used the 509 cam for my current build and am loving it although it is still too new to have it completely tuned

BTW if you have fuel injection it will smooth out an engines idle and the cam will be less noticeable

As I listened to @biomedtechguy , video the Mopar 509 sounds good, but I like the Racer Brown 509 version a little better. I don't think it's available anymore or where they went, but if I found another, I would probably buy it.

Damn, I knew it looked great but it sounds great too!
hubba_hubba-404.gif

Since everyone is doing "Show me yours, I'll show you mine"...

Summit 6401 Duration 298/303, Lift .466/.488

Last edited:

Hey Jerry, have we met? Maybe at Mopars at the Battleship? Or??
Apologies if we have and I forgot...

Auto Transport Service
Back