• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 camshaft question

greycharger

Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
I bought a cam kit because the price was right. If it won't work for me, I can easily sell it and get my money back. Looking to build a strong daily driver, not a racer and wonder if this cam would work for me and my 66 Charger with 3.55 gears. Speedway speaks only of use with Automatics, not manual transmissions.
Any ideas of what to expect? Advice?

Comp Cam 21-223-4, 268/289 XE
Comp Cams dual springs
Howard's 91711 lifters W/ oil holes
OEM Rockers

Motor:
1973 440, Std bore, Std crank, flat top pistons w/no reliefs
452 heads, mild port
6 pack induction
4 speed
headers (or '69 HP exhaust, have both)

Camshaft Specs:
Hydraulic Flat Tappet
RPM Range:
1600-5800
Intake Duration:
Exhaust Duration:
Intake Duration (.050" Lift):
Exhaust Duration (.050" Lift):
Intake Valve Lift w/ Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.477"
Exhaust Valve Lift w/ Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.480"
Lobe Separation:
110 °
Grind Number:
CRB XE268H-10
MFG. Part #:
21-223-4
GTIN Code:
External Ignition Box Required:
No
Valve Springs Required:
Yes
Sold in Quantity:
Each

That's not far off from the stock road runner cam, a little hotter. For an all around driver I would think that would be just fine. It might be a bit soft on the low end if you have the stock 8.2 compression though.

It's a comp cams xe...the intake lobe was designed to open quickly and then close very,very rapidly. The exhaust I believe is a comp cams magnum lobe. The narrow Lsa helps build some compression and intake ramps are steep to build compression. The old mopar magnum cam are gradual..lazy..lots of .006 duration and wider lsa....completely different cam design. The xe intake ramp shuts so fast it can make some noticable valve train noise. It pulls really hard from 2500-4500 and by 5000 it's pretty well done. 5800 is not going to happen in a 440. IMO it really labors past 5k. Pretty good cam design for low compression gm engine that you want torque and aren't interested on shifting past 5k especially a Big block...certainly better cams for a mopar with our larger diameter .904 lifters. It will run ok in a engine in the 8's for compression (imo what it was designed for). It does like 9:1 but it's not a big cam and you can run less. It's ground to maximize a .842 diameter chevy lifter not the larger mopar .904 diameter.
Hope that helps. It is a fun cam on the bottom end and midrange...I wouldn't be afraid of it..lots of people run them in mopars. But yes you could do better.

Last edited:
I bought a cam kit because the price was right. If it won't work for me, I can easily sell it and get my money back. Looking to build a strong daily driver, not a racer and wonder if this cam would work for me and my 66 Charger with 3.55 gears. Speedway speaks only of use with Automatics, not manual transmissions.
Any ideas of what to expect? Advice?

Comp Cam 21-223-4, 268/289 XE
Comp Cams dual springs
Howard's 91711 lifters W/ oil holes
OEM Rockers

Motor:
1973 440, Std bore, Std crank, flat top pistons w/no reliefs
452 heads, mild port
6 pack induction
4 speed
headers (or '69 HP exhaust, have both)

Camshaft Specs:
Hydraulic Flat Tappet
RPM Range:
1600-5800
Intake Duration:
Exhaust Duration:
Intake Duration (.050" Lift):
Exhaust Duration (.050" Lift):
Intake Valve Lift w/ Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.477"
Exhaust Valve Lift w/ Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.480"
Lobe Separation:
110 °
Grind Number:
CRB XE268H-10
MFG. Part #:
21-223-4
GTIN Code:
External Ignition Box Required:
No
Valve Springs Required:
Yes
Sold in Quantity:
Each

Good Cam, we've used it lots..... although we prefer to order under the "23" prefix for the 3 Bolt Timing Chain.

It will work extremely well for you if you can get your CR up closer to an honest 9:1.... seat of the pants Torque improves significantly
because,
unfortunately your '73 Pistons with 452 Heads are closer to 8:1 in the real world ?

We've seen 460-470hp with 510 Ft/Lbs on the Dyno with that Cam
440/.030 over
9.8:1
E-Streets (Port Matched)
Street Dom Intake / 850
just say'in...
Dunno what you will see with Iron Heads, lower CR etc., but it is a very capable Camshaft.

Last edited:
Sorry, the pistons are aftermarket, so I don't know how tall they are, no idea of CR. It has been rebuilt, but not by me.

I used to take it out east Pheasant hunting and I will probably yet again, but that means buying fuel in areas that don't have anything above 89 octane.

What curriousyellow said and other good comments
Stock Magnum cam is a dog with that compression, and runs HOT
best street cam is Mike Jones motorhome hyd-
specifically designed for that motor, he would match exhaust ad set the lca for optimum
but you could do better with a solid cam but you would need iron rockers
other choices are the short howards with the 15 in the comments column
or a voodoo 256-262 degrees
Mikes 256 cam has much more area than the 260 MP cam 50% more duration at .275 lift where you need it but much shorter actual seat timing than the howards or voodoo
the 268xe comp was one of UD Harolds best for the SBC

Sorry, the pistons are aftermarket, so I don't know how tall they are, no idea of CR. It has been rebuilt, but not by me.

I used to take it out east Pheasant hunting and I will probably yet again, but that means buying fuel in areas that don't have anything above 89 octane.

If you have the heads off, measure how far down the top of the piston is. Any numbers on the pistons?

or put hte piston .5 inch down and seal and fill and measure
or if piston is down at tdc just fill and calculate cc.s

this cam is a very good street cam, i ran this cam with a .030 over 440, with 452 heads that were pocket ported and had 2.14 1.81 valves, cut .030 off the heads, with a six pack it did 504 HP at the flywheel, and 540s torques. with 3.55s and a 2500 stall converter it would spin the tires for blocks....it dose make very good mid range "real world" power and i actually miss this setup alot.

you wont be disappointed.

this cam is a very good street cam, i ran this cam with a .030 over 440, with 452 heads that were pocket ported and had 2.14 1.81 valves, cut .030 off the heads, with a six pack it did 504 HP at the flywheel, and 540s torques. with 3.55s and a 2500 stall converter it would spin the tires for blocks....it dose make very good mid range "real world" power and i actually miss this setup alot.

you wont be disappointed.
Sorry to wake up a dead thread but im looking at this cam for my car.

‘68 440 high-perf motor allegedly 10:1 not sure what true compression is.
906 heads, planning to have ported
AVS2 800cfm carb
3.55 rear on 295/50
Long tube headers
Factory 727 and stall converter
Everything I can look up says it should stall 2-2200rpm

Goal is 450hp or better with even more torque.

Comparing the XE262H and the XE268H

There were two different oem pistons used in 68 440s(although never advertised). You will know with the heads off. The higher compression piston is about .055 down which is around 9.3. The lower compression is about .090 down which is around 8.7:1. I don't care for a 262xe in much of anything... it is detonation prone. Comp cams recommends it way to often for big blocks. A lot of the convertors back then were suppose to be 2200 were closer to 1800. With your gears and hp goals consider stepping up a size bigger to a 274. Bb isn't going to care much about a low stall with 3.55s.

Sorry to wake up a dead thread but im looking at this cam for my car.

‘68 440 high-perf motor allegedly 10:1 not sure what true compression is.
906 heads, planning to have ported
AVS2 800cfm carb
3.55 rear on 295/50
Long tube headers
Factory 727 and stall converter
Everything I can look up says it should stall 2-2200rpm

Goal is 450hp or better with even more torque.

Comparing the XE262H and the XE268H
So what's the question???

So what's the question???
Sorry, guess I should have clarified.
Several of the guys on here have similar builds to what I’m planning, so I wanted their input on if my listed combo of parts would theoretically get me into the 450hp ballpark.
They seem to have done it with low compression blocks and I thought maybe they would have some feedback or help identify any potential issues with my planned setup or if any of my research results were wrong.

Last edited:
There were two different oem pistons used in 68 440s(although never advertised). You will know with the heads off. The higher compression piston is about .055 down which is around 9.3. The lower compression is about .090 down which is around 8.7:1. I don't care for a 262xe in much of anything... it is detonation prone. Comp cams recommends it way to often for big blocks. A lot of the convertors back then were suppose to be 2200 were closer to 1800. With your gears and hp goals consider stepping up a size bigger to a 274. Bb isn't going to care much about a low stall with 3.55s.
Thank you! See this is why I asked. I havent been able to find details like this about pistons.

If you have any other Cam recommendations for the 440s I’d love to hear it. Im not dead set on any brand or specs. I’m just trying to find the best performance and compatibility with my block and valve train without having to change out everything.
I’ll be doing a entire disassemble soon and cleanup to check for any worn parts, but looking to rebuild with my grandpa’s dream of 450hp/500+tq.

I bought the car as a project together and his health declined rapidly and I’m hustling to try to make his dreams a reality before I lose him.
If their is any necessary upgrades to get the power I’m after, I’d love to hear it.

Knowing Cam compatibility and valve train limits is still a grey area for me.
How much lift is too much? .490?
I know to stick with similar duration to factory.
The factory hp specs I found was 268/284 450/458 46 degree overlap at 115LSA
@.50 is 208/221 duration

As an example, I have a 68 440 waiting to be built (350 hp eng with the .055 pistons) and intend on running a comp xs282(iirc), and would expect the hp #s to be in the 450++ range.
Also had a low comp 77 440, with the Mopar. 528, that I figured was in the 460 realm.
260s, and 270s cams are too small for your expectations in my opinion.

How much lift is too much? .490?
I know to stick with similar duration to factory.
The factory hp specs I found was 268/284 450/458 46 degree overlap at 115LSA
@.50 is 208/221 duration
Keeping lift under .500 is a good thing without worrying and parts hittin each other. Your cam in post #1 will work fine and the one quoted here are 1 in the same cams. You'd be fine with any cam is the 215-230 @ .50 range without worry. Good Luck

True 9.5cr(KB184’s, so it had good quench) 446, 6bbl, very minor bowl blend on stock valve size 346 heads(flow 240-250), Comp 280H, stock rockers, 1-7/8” x 3” headers.
499tq/424hp

On the dyno here, I’ve never seen a 440 with a smallish HFT cam break 500hp.

Small heads, being run with small(short duration) cams, especially when combined with low CR......... end up peaking too early to make big HP numbers.

(of course....... there could easily be an over 10% variation in power numbers from different dyno services)

Last edited:
if you want to rev high over 5500 rpms and make HP then you really should be running a solid lifter cam. there is no down side accept needing adjustable rockers. big Joe Sherman always said hydraulic cams are for sissies lol. he said it not me

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back