• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 intake install

paul1969cars

Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi

Im installing my intake manifold and bought the new tray as well that is the seal between the block and the intake manifold. Got it from 440 source.

Is there a need to install a gasket between the tray and the manifold as well. 440 source did send me a felt gasket for that. Dont know if its really needed or not

Also what is the best way to clean out intake manifold as well. I blew it out and vacuumed it and its clean with nothing looses dont really want to run water through it in case rust happens

Thanks

Paul

I had test fit mine without gaskets first to see if everything was parallel and that gave me a better idea on if any fiber gaskets were needed. In my case I also had a little casting flash that got in the way of it sitting right. Unless it was totally filthy inside what you did to clean it sounds like enough.

I had test fit mine without gaskets first to see if everything was parallel and that gave me a better idea on if any fiber gaskets were needed. In my case I also had a little casting flash that got in the way of it sitting right. Unless it was totally filthy inside what you did to clean it sounds like enough.
thanks

Hey, guys... since this question was answered, I figure I may as well piggy back instead of cluttering the site up with basically the same question. So, if y'all don't mind:

I've been building cars for years, but never anything this old. I have a 440 with an Edelbrock RPM intake, I *assume* a blocked crossover pan (the car has headers), a plate in between the intake and carb (I assume to reduce exposure to heat....?), and a Holley 4BBL. I'm pulling the carb/mani/valve covers off because the car smokes like a locomotive on start up and stops when warm (the car sat for an unknown number of years). Also, I can not get the carb to idle or run consistently and it's missing parts, so I will be replacing it with new.
Soooo, to be more specific towards this topic: I bought a gasket kit that has a new pan with block off and IM gaskets according to the height/width the heads ports *should* have (I assume they are stock, as I found all specs on engine other than info on heads other than the rocker info). I also got a couple of gaskets for between the intake and plate, then plate and carb.
My questions regarding all of this:

1. Do I need to add RTV to any part of the IM gaskets?
2. Do I need to use the recommended Gaskacinch?

Fingers crossed for no vacuum leaks. Thanks in advance.

Auto Transport Service
Back