• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Lash Setting

Houle #382

Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Well my winter build didn't go as planned as nobody in the continental US has a Hydraulic roller cam that I was looking to buy. So back to square one but there's a small issue. My current setup is a hydraulic flat tappet cam with adjustable rockers. Here's my question, in order to set the Preload properly the lifters should not have oil in them so when you go to set the preload it collapse the lifter instead of opening the valve. My problem is all my lifters have oil in them and I can't collapse them so how do I set the preload?

Last edited:
Set them as normal, spring pressure will bleed them down.

Once the pushrod/adjuster takes the lash out, turn the adjuster to "preload" the lifter as normal and the spring pressure will bleed the lifter down, and the proper lifter preload (3/4 turn or whatever you use) is still present.

Well my winter build didn't go as planned as nobody in the continental US has a Hydraulic roller cam that I was looking to buy. So back to square one but there's a small issue. My current setup is a hydraulic flat tappet cam with adjustable rockers. Here's my question, in order to set the Preload properly the lifters should not have oil in them so when you go to set the preload it collapse the lifter instead of opening the valve. My problem is all my lifters have oil in them and I can't collapse them so how do I set the preload?
Rack it the way it is. Run it and rerack it. Easy Peasy.

My technique it to loosen the adjuster nut & back of the adjuster. Rotating the engine per the valve lash chart & adjusting the correct intake & exhaust valve at the right rotation (degree tape on harmonic balancer)....I sort of "twirl" the pushrod with one hand while I tighten/loosen the adjuster screw. I go back and forth until I can "feel" (with my pushrod twirling fingers) when I hit "zero lash". Then I turn another 1/2 or 3/4 turn & tighten the nuts. Rotate engine and repeat.

Auto Transport Service
Back