• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 LP generator update!

Backpacker

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
OK guys, here goes: This unit was a backup power source in a turkey barn to keep the fans running so the birds didn't get too hot and die. It had very few hours since the power didn't go out very often. However, it was placed next to a set of doors so the doors could be opened to get cooling air to the radiator. The result was condensation. The alternator is rusted so much it won't turn. The fan and pulleys are rusted badly. The engine spins freely. A little rust was visible on the rockers that were under the oil fill cap. It has not been internally inspected beyond that yet. I barely had enough time to pick it up and get it dropped off at the builders. So I have just a couple of pictures. I will get some more when I can.

Initial observations: 1800 RPM pulley driven governor connected to an LP carb. Carb is mounted on an adapter plate to a 4 barrel intake. Cast crank with no pilot hole for a 4spd, water inlet on the water pump is on the wrong side, and the fan is backwards.

Do you see anything else?

IMG_4933L.jpg IMG_4935L.jpg IMG_4937L.jpg IMG_4939L.jpg

Last edited:
Check spark plugs as you may have a 440-3 industrial and some turned in reverse

Auto Transport Service
Back