• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Motor mount help.

440 Charger

Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
I have a 73 charger that had a 318 swapping in a 440. Cut the smallblock mounts off the k member doing this on a budget yes I know could have put a bb k member in for 500 bucks but am a welder fabricator mounts are an easy thing. The block casting numbers come up as a 1972 industrial block that has three tabs on each side about 3/4 thick. Can find tons of mounts for 2 tab have seen on Nicks garage he always has 3 tab mounts on his 440s . Would like to utilize all three tabs for added strength. Does anyone have an idea of a supplier. Just talked to summit tec they only had a transdapt engine swap kit with the three tab that is on a 2 month backorder. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

440 block id.jpg

What do you mean by a 3 tab mount?
EDIT: Early mounts are all two tabs in front and one in the rear on the mount that bolts to the block.

Last edited:
What do you mean by a 3 tab mount?
The upper motor mount to the engine block. The engine has 3 mounting tabs on each side. Most of the mounts only use the top 2 with a long bolt . I have seen the mount with isolator and stud to the k and you use a bolt and nut on the bottom tab.

At one time Schumachker made a motor mount conversion kit using your original k-member and installing a 440. Don't know if its available any more.

My memory may be flawed, but the two tab style is the motor mount for the late "spool" mount. Not sure what you changed the the K member mounts to.

The upper motor mount to the engine block. The engine has 3 mounting tabs on each side. Most of the mounts only use the top 2 with a long bolt . I have seen the mount with isolator and stud to the k and you use a bolt and nut on the bottom tab.

strong 440.jpg

At one time Schumachker made a motor mount conversion kit using your original k-member and installing a 440. Don't know if its available any more.
As I said in my post the 318 mounts are cut off the k just need the three ear mounts for the block.

I think the TransDapt conversion mounts use all three holes on the block, and an older bisquit style sandwich mount. This is similar or the same as a Schumacher mount IIRC.

I think the TransDapt conversion mounts use all three holes on the block, and an older bisquit style sandwich mount. This is similar or the same as a Schumacher mount IIRC.
Still looking solid may be the way.

I have heard of guys leaving the driver side mount alone since its close to the same location as the bb k member.. I think guys use stock spool mounts and move the passenger side up and back. Also have to take a small section down low out of the passenger side fenderwell. The adapter mount you can compare to stock and get the idea:
Screenshot_20210410-223726_Chrome.jpg

Below is Stock...should look like what IQ52 posted
Unfortunately shoemaker is retiring from what I have heard.. I would just cut the passenger side mount and move it. I recently chopped the mount off a parts car and welded it in. I know /6 used a narrower spool mount and I had to cut them in half and widen them. Screenshot_20210410-224127_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you transdapt does but they are on a 2 month backorder. In sw fl in 2 months will not be fun welding lol.

My memory may be flawed, but the two tab style is the motor mount for the late "spool" mount. Not sure what you changed the the K member mounts to.
Thats the fun part I cut it all off the K and can fab anything needed just trying to figure out what direction to take. There are so many that have been changed by engineers for a reason. Basically figuring out the best way and trying to put my own spin to improve. The designers of these cars did it and still do so why cant we. Ripped a lot of Sandwich mounts off my old 70 500 drivers side trying to fix that problem. Back in the day we would just chain it down and put a turn buckel but there is new tec. Be well keep the mopars going.

I just did this swap and what I got are spool mounts from a later 440 and put them in the standard 318 k member that we cut too fit. I never modified the mounts which does affect the placement of the motor forward and up a little but to fit my headers I had to cut out part of the passenger inner fender to more match the big block fender.

20201111_114009.jpg IMG_20200723_181624.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back