• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Oil Filter leak

PeteBell68

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone hoping someone can help me solve this issue . I've done some reading in a few places and thought I knew the issue to resolve tHe leak .
There is a filter leak of some type . First thing I did was check the filter to see if tight , then replaced with a new filter .
There is a small puddle of oil that ends up on my k frame that I keep wiping up every few days .
I felt all around the pump all the bolts the whole engine no leaks but a small amount of oil
Is always present every few days .
Double checked to see if gasket from old filter left behind nope .
Where the filter screws on is clean and shiny - maybe not sealing ?
Help

Thank you

Pete

Sounds like you covered it. Ensure old seal came off, spins on freely, hand tight only. A little oil rubbed on the new gasket prior to spinning on. Next I would try a WIX 51515 (double check) fill it a little and try again. Good luck. Keep us posted. After that, look elsewhere.

Yup went a bought the Wix took off the Mopar filter same thing .
Can't figure it out .
My friend mentioned because everything is new and in the cold garage it might be seeping ?

Get some leak detector dye/kit from local Napa or OReillys.

Gasket bad from pump to block? O.filters never seep,dbl.-gasket will just dump oil out.

Need to clean and dry the oil pump.Run it for a minute and identify where the oil is coming from.Could be an o-ring or a gasket,,,,,,,,,

It's totally dry around whole outside of pump .
If the filter is screwed on how would the o ring leak past ? Possible

2 filters in a row? Something else,paper gskt to block? OR oil pan gskt itself, timing cover at bottom edge.?

I know that what I thought I have searched and felt everywhere with lights plus flashlight even my buddy couldn't find a leak .
Only thing I can think of is its all rebuilt and the surface where the filter screws in is warped ?

Guess it's possible. My pump is 48 yrs old.

Try this- put a layer of grease on pump and screw on a dry filter a little at a time and see what the grease shows? Never heard/seen this kinda problem.

Older guy across the street suggested that . We just looked again lying under the car and I felt everything I mean everything just as usual. A little oil on bottom of filter like it just weeps .
He said everything is new just needs to heat up and seal I'll try a little dab of grease and see when the weather permits .

Its possible that your filter was made at 4:45 on Friday in China! Maybe the rolled bead that joins the filter together is leaking

Oil filter is the lowest point so the oil going to run there. I'd bite the bullet and pull the pump. replace gasket on block and the O-rings. Check for warped parts. I don't know how hard it is to remove a pump on a wedge I had to remove a pump from a Hemi once in the car.

Its possible that your filter was made at 4:45 on Friday in China! Maybe the rolled bead that joins the filter together is leaking
Two different filters one was a mopar the other a wix both good types .

Oil filter is the lowest point so the oil going to run there. I'd bite the bullet and pull the pump. replace gasket on block and the O-rings. Check for warped parts. I don't know how hard it is to remove a pump on a wedge I had to remove a pump from a Hemi once in the car.
Yes that's what I am thinking . With everything hooked up and in car not much room so it's a major pain . Ordering the o ring and gasket tomorrow after I dab a dry filter with a little grease
To see how it looks also going to try a straight edge if I can .

Thanks everyone for the replys .

Yes that's what I am thinking . With everything hooked up and in car not much room so it's a major pain . Ordering the o ring and gasket tomorrow after I dab a dry filter with a little grease
To see how it looks also going to try a straight edge if I can .

Thanks everyone for the replys .
Don't forget that o-ring on the housing that goes inside the block.

it's not too bad taking the pump off...a little bit of finagling around the sway bar and it's out.

good time to check and make sure there is no scoring on the wall of the pump and the veins etc...

DSC02992.JPG
DSC02999.JPG
DSC02997.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back