• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Oil pan removal

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
70 RR with 440. Minor oil leak is making me remove the oil pan & re-do the windage tray & gaskets. Can the pan be removed without taking off the cross link ?? And is there a part # for the higher capacity pan. I just want to make sure I have the correct pan on it.

Nope. Just knock off the cross link at the pitman arm & Idler arm to give you room to remove the pan. If you leave the tie rod ends alone, your alignment will be fine.

I believe you must drop the center link.Should be able to leave the tie rods attached and pull the link down to give you enough room.

What is the number on your current pan?

Remove the centerlink from the inner tie rod ends and the idler arm only. You then can swing the centerlink away for access. Did it this way since 50 years ago.

Should be on the back bottom, by the center link. Big numbers, hard to miss, unless they aren't there.
I haven't looked at the part # yet. Is it on the outside or inside of the pan ?

......Is it on the outside or inside of the pan ?

Lol, for example, here's the 02 of a 402 pan. Ya' can't miss numbers .......... provided your the pan has them.
upload_2022-5-14_18-44-29.png

From '70 FSM.........
upload_2022-5-14_18-29-28.png

Auto Transport Service
Back