• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 pickup tube to oil pan clearance

68gtx

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
finishing my 512, milodon 8 quart pan, pickup and windage tray, pickup tube is approx 3/4 of an inch off of bottom of pan, i am thinking it should be closer but how the heck do you accomplish that? tube is dead solid!!! and with the way it mounts to support bracket that goes onto main cap , it is virtually impossible to move the pickup in relation to the pan bottom. what does everyone else do , i have searched all types of forums and have found nothing..

IMG_2710.JPG IMG_2711.JPG

I like them about 1/2" no more, you can bend them if you try, but NOT at the thread.
Were only talking about .250 or a little more you don't want it hitting the pan.
I think the difference is coming from those thick gaskets. If you remove the tray put the pick up back on and I think you could bend it up by prying on the bracket with a prybar. I would have to see it with out the tray in place.

I set mine 3/8" off the bottom of the pan. You need to heat (with a torch) the tube and increase/decrease an existing bend while holding the tube in a vise to get the tube to set where you want it.

I would not heat it only because of the plating might flake off inside the pipe. You can bend it very easy with 3 large sockets and a vice.you will need help holding the sockets but if you tighten the vice up a little move it an inch and do it again you will be surprised at how fare you can move it with out smashing the pipe take your time it will work.

It gets thoroughly cleaned inside and out before final installation in the engine. I don't much care for "flakes" anywhere near my engines.

I don't use heat any were but on locktited bolts, would be to hard to get a brush down that pipe to clean it.

but all that would have to be done after the bracket

like I said hard to tell with the tray in place, can you get a picture without the tray.
I would bend the bracket if it's long enough.and then bend the pipe in the middle

Ok got it figured , next question , the pickup tube itself , how tight ?? It starts to tighten about three threads down , 1/4 way left to go , Shoikd I go one more full turn or leave it at just getting tight ? How easy is the t to crack the block where the tube goes in ?

IMG_2784.JPG

Cut the bracket, bend it, weld the bracket back (add metal if you have to). Get it closer to the pan. I'd want it no more than 3/8".

make a mark were the bolt head is take it off and put it in the vice and bend it up. then straighten the upper part out so it matches back to the pick up.
you have more than enough room to get 3/8"up

I think it's pretty hard to crack the block where the tube threads in. You want a good seal there. Turn it in until it starts to get tight, then on around to where it is lined up, and is real hard to tighten anymore. I was unable to even move mine either way after it was tight. Not sure what type, if any, sealant should be put on the threads. I would think a liquid type that you put on with a brush should work good. I wouldn't use RTV.

The pickup is pipe thread. Meaning it seals at the threads, and that it must only go "in" and tighten to keep that seal. I put mine in dry, if I was to use something I'd use liquid Teflon - do NOT use RTV. Also it is pretty easy to crack that boss if one tries hard enough. It's not designed to act as an anchor while you pull on the end of a 12-14" steel tubular "lever". So be careful.

Auto Transport Service
Back