• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 RB weight ?

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:14 PM
Reaction score
I need to get an idea of a 440RB weight so I can buy an engine stand. I was thinking that 750lbs stand might be too light for the job. 1000lbs probably closer and sturdier ?

The all iron 440 with exhaust manifolds is close to 700. Aluminum heads, intake and water pump housing puts you closer to 620.

Always use a stand that is capable of holding more weight than ya actually need.

Go with the 1000lb FOUR wheel stand. Avoid the 750lb 3 leg stand for your safety. I prefer to use the 2000lb from AC Delco for 2x safety factor.

IMG_0986.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg

Thanks ! I agree with the 4 wheels over 3 for stability.

The all iron 440 with exhaust manifolds is close to 700. Aluminum heads, intake and water pump housing puts you closer to 620.

Yeah, thanks Kern ! Mine is all iron ! Right now, everything from the heads up is off. I was planning on pulling it with a chainfall from the rafters, but a neighbor sold me his hoist super cheap. He did not have an engine stand, though.

Thanks all ! I picked up 1000lbs stand !
Did you get a HF Pittsburg model? If so, be careful with the wheels. On my two, the E-clips will pop off and the wheel starts to come off. After this happened the first time, they were relegated to display motors only that do not move.

Yes, I did get the HF Pittsburgh 1000lbs 4 wheel model. I will check that when I assemble it. Do the E clips have holes that I could wire them closed with ?

Yes, I did get the HF Pittsburgh 1000lbs 4 wheel model. I will check that when I assemble it. Do the E clips have holes that I could wire them closed with ?
No, the problem is that they pop off when moving the stand around. Can we say Chineez...!!

You can tack weld a larger washer over the end of the peg.

A dressed iron RB/413/426 wedge/440 is allegedly 670#s

the 1,000# is a bunch safer,
& 4 wheels for an engine stand is far more stable too
2 runs is a good place to put a tray under it too

------------------------------------------------------------------------

got it off the -www- some years back
don't remember where,
it was accurate from a good trusted source
so, I wrote them all down for future references

cast iron stuff factory OE
331-354 Hemi - 504#
392 Hemi - 564#
Slant 6 225 - 525#
273-318LA-318m-340 LA/Magnum - 525#
(not sure on the Poly 318 or other Poly cids)
360 LA/Magnum - 550#
361-400 B series lowdeck - 620#
413-426 w-440 RB - 670#
426 Street Hemi RB - 765#

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Aluminum head race hemi/iron block N/A (55#) less - 710#
a World/aftermarket or P/S style iron block - add near 80-100#

KB Aluminum Hemi appr.
depending on what crank/heads etc. - base N/A 530#
blower & all that comes with it another 150-200#s

Milodon Mastodon Hemi (526-540cid) was like N/A 555#
before blower (8:71) & all the other stuff, easily another 200#s
especially when you start adding SFI clutch can, flywheel, multi-disc clutch etc.
it really starts to add up
I had 1st hand experience with all them

Last edited:
Great info Budnicks !! Thanks !!

69Bee & Kern Dog....If they are still using the E clips, I will drill and use cotter pins. I will find out tomorrow when I open the box to assemble !

All B-blocks ARE heavy, so are the Ferds & Chebbies.

We added a stiffener to this one. I cut a board to stick under the front otherwise it's still a bit springy

Screenshot_20221108-194230.png

Got it all assembled. There were no E-clips at all. It was all bolts with nuts and washers.

Auto Transport Service
Back