• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 rear valley pan rail notches?

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
0A65A98F-A526-4F18-9D8C-250BCA59CFC3.jpeg
359C0933-851F-4E42-852B-D5D13C6B2FE8.jpeg
5FCE2D12-71FB-4C74-B5F2-2F9A8A6E741C.jpeg
Ok so I see the rear valley pan on 440 blocks notched and some are not. What is the reason for this? First pic is a 67 second pic is a 77 and third is a 66

I chalk it up to how the factory fixture the block for machining it. I a process changed, or machine at a different plant could account for the last on not having the notches.

Newer blocks are probably notched to save weight and improve fuel economy. The pollitians made them do it.

my 69 HP doesn’t have them and i have a 72 HP that does

The offset at the top of the bellhousing came around 75 as far as I know. Them notches in the rear valley pan rail puzzle me.

I sent an e mail to 440 SOURCE about it with a picture attached that has arrows pointing at the notches...stay tuned.. Ghost

Targets for some machining operation that they thought was going to help with setup and then decided it wasn't working out so they quit using it?

If it was a grip point for moving the block around the factory then they would all have them I would think...

After looking at a bunch of blocks I’ve not found a rhyme or reason why those two notches are there.
It doesn’t seem to matter what year the blocks are
some have them some don’t.

Nothings mounted back there that would need the indents... a blank block might need to be moved around but then all would have them. Casting release the same deal...intakes that have something that sets in there?

Was thinking ...if the block is upside down on a platform those would be handy spots for a jig to have posts sticking up from the table to hold the block in the correct position...along with similar indentations elsewhere? are there any on the front?

Auto Transport Service
Back