• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 six pack car for Super Stock

Garys1969RR

Local time
4:40 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how well the six pack cars did, or can do in NHRA Super Stock? I am researching the idea of a 440 six pack RR in that class. Any ideas? Is there a chance that one could be competitive in todays world of hi flow 4 barrel intakes? I've heard that the six pack intake can't flow enough air at high RPMs to keep up with what is required. What are your thoughts on this?

don't use a stock intake. probably could use a sheet metal intake; if not a wieand. stage 5 heads.

So those are all legal in S Stock? How about an STR cross ram type six pack or a tunnel ram?

ebay59024.jpg
a very successful C/S car back in the day

So those are all legal in S Stock? How about an STR cross ram type six pack or a tunnel ram?
the STR is obsolete. the wieand tunnel ram took it's place. i have seen sheet metal intakes in S/S. and, the last i looked folks were using the mopar performance stage 5 heads.

find out where the car falls in the power to weight ratio in it's class. then get an NHRA rule book to see what's aloud in the class, then see if it can run on the index that the NHRA puts out for all classes.

Damn, NHRA class racing is tough. If the Wieand six pack manifold is legal, a pretty good choice. Newer sheet metal too if they are legal. Lots of tinkering with six pak carbs. But if you get the combination, sure work great.

there's jetting info out there for both the STR and weiand. it will surprise you at how little mods are done to the carbs vs the intake, but all written info is many years old. both of those intakes have been legal for many years. i have seen sheet metal intakes on AMC's and hemis so i know they're legal. this is a big bucks operation and you'll need to run a second or more under the index to qualify.

Was never a class guy but it looked like wieand manifold was easier to get right. From what I recall the the STR was tough to get set up. I could be wrong. On my stock aluminum intake the end carb idle screws made all the difference. 1/4 turn made off idle response a lot better. I also tried the various springs in the end carbs. Don't recall what I settled on. You need to try the springs.

If you are talking about NHRA Super Stock...you have some very limiting factors that will cost a ton of money to buy if you're not going to do them yourself. To run at the top of the class will take a serious time commitment. Nostalgia Super Stock is a nice alternative, and it allows all kinds of engine mods, yet mocks the vintage SS look.

Super Stock requires: Factory Carburetion, Factory Heads (Modifications are legal and necessary to run at the top, but the factory casting numbers must be there ...906), Factory block with stock stroke, factory size over-bore allowed (not sure how far you can go...want to say .060), and any size cam shaft.

It's always been a dream of mine to run in the NHRA Stock Eliminator or SS class, but when you factor all of the above along with the fact the NHRA will have Sportsman racers on site of a National Event from Wednesday-Sunday...or later...It just doesn't make sense. Maybe when I'm old, rich, and retired=Never; (

I believe this is the intake mentioned above. Yes there are lots of modifications published in the Mopar Encyclopedia Engine Book. All were performed on this one, and it won't run nearly as fast as my stock 6bbl intake. I messed with this thing for years, and multiple motors. Finally I gave up on it. My buddy had to have it. He mounted it on his car and it slowed down by .4! I like to tinker, but that thing owned me!!
IMG_1118_2.jpg

nhra let's them run stage 5's and has for while. pontiacs and fords are getting to run edelbrocks.

...did not know that. Guess I'm out of the loop. Do they allow aftermarket heads in Stock as well? Guess I ought to buy another National Dragster subscription...that way I'll get the rule book as well. Thank you for the response.

I worked with 6 Paks for several years, the stock end carb jet plates are pretty close on the '70 carbs, take the idle screw plugs out of the end carbs, as I recall I moved them 1/4 turn to get throttle response. You need to try the different springs in the end carbs. I don't recall what I finally found worked best. You need to try them. I only changed the center carb jets by 2 numbers & I think I went up by 2 on the squirter. Adjusting the idle screws on the end carbs made a really big difference. A small increase in the end carb jet size might work too.

...did not know that. Guess I'm out of the loop. Do they allow aftermarket heads in Stock as well? Guess I ought to buy another National Dragster subscription...that way I'll get the rule book as well. Thank you for the response.
pretty sure stage 5's have preceded '906's years ago. pretty sure the fords, pontiacs, and buicks can use edelbrocks.

idle mix on the end carbs needs to compensate for the screwed up idle circut on the center carb. i got into a center carbs idle jet earlier this year. it was .023" while the idle air bleed was .062"; screwed up but fixable.

Well I have the time and the car, but not the big bucks it looks like it would require to be a contender. Maybe we could get a group of six pack lovers together to create a package that would work. Interesting that Stage 5 heads are allowed, but not Eddys? But Eddys are allowed if you run a Pontiac or Ford? Guess the Chevy guys don't need any help! Ha!

Auto Transport Service
Back