• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Six Pack intake, anyone familiar with this setup?

QOTHL

Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
I had to take the carbs off to replace the accelerator pump. The cracker rigged fuel lines had to be cut - just the center one, to get to the cracker rigged Allen head bolt.
Has anyone dealt with fuel lines for something like this? I'm working on using stock lines but it is a :BangHead::cursin::BangHead::cursin::eek::eek::eek::realcrazy::realcrazy::screwy:.
Just thought I'd check and see if anyone here has any experience with this fargin thing.

DSC_1453.jpeg
DSC_1451.jpeg

You can buy the factory fuel lines and tweak them to fit. They will have to be curved a little upwards to clear the manifold. STR manifold ? You can always keep the brass tees and flare your own lines.

You can buy the factory fuel lines and tweak them to fit. They will have to be curved a little upwards to clear the manifold. STR manifold ? You can always keep the brass tees and flare your own lines.

I've spent hours tweaking...never done this before so it's :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:. I looked in to flaring kits - over $200. I'll do AN lines if this doesn't work. It says CHRYS and Edelbrock and it's aluminum.

yes its the Edlebrock STR-14 for RB STR-15 for B motors "street tunnel ram" You can buy a cheap flaring tool for $35 but it will not be good for stainless lines. soft metal or copper only with the cheap tools.

I made steel lines to look like the stock ones, yours look like copper line. I dont think they will stand up to very many remove/reinstall cycles.
The ones i made took multiple attempts, and an upgrade from a usa made craftsman double flair tool, to a blue point (snap on). No matter how tight i made the clamp on the craftsman, the tube slipped during flaring.
Before i would do it again, i would buy the ready made repops.
(That is assuming the carb spacing on your aftermarket intake is the same as a stock edelbrock). Still, with a decent tubing bender you should be able to make adjustments.

I've done many of these over the years, including the factory setup, a fuel rail, and my own custom flared tubes. But never on that manifold. Will the repro stock lines fit ?

......of course AN soft line is always easier (if not cheaper). If it were a stock factory eddie, id say use the stock steel lines. For your STR, do anything you like!
(That is a seriously cool intake too, by the way!)

I've done many of these over the years, including the factory setup, a fuel rail, and my own custom flared tubes. But never on that manifold. Will the repro stock lines fit ?
What she shows on hers are similar to the stock steel, but the lengths and shapes aren't quite right. I think if the stock setup doesnt fit, it will just need the set bent higher a bit. The stock set lays below the mounting flange of the carbs. I don't think there is room there on the STR.

What she shows on hers are similar to the stock steel, but the lengths and shapes aren't quite right. I think if the stock setup doesnt fit, it will just need the set bent higher a bit. The stock set lays below the mounting flange of the carbs. I don't think there is room there on the STR.
I'm thinking then, maybe "finesse" the stock tubes a little higher ? Years ago on one engine, I ran 3/8 up to a fuel rail & bent/flared my feeds to the carbs.

Front and primary but the back is giving me migraines. And not having done this before doesn't help. I'm within 1/4" now and hope I can get that last fraction and be done...then hope it doesn't leak.

I made steel lines to look like the stock ones, yours look like copper line. I dont think they will stand up to very many remove/reinstall cycles.
The ones i made took multiple attempts, and an upgrade from a usa made craftsman double flair tool, to a blue point (snap on). No matter how tight i made the clamp on the craftsman, the tube slipped during flaring.
Before i would do it again, i would buy the ready made repops.
(That is assuming the carb spacing on your aftermarket intake is the same as a stock edelbrock). Still, with a decent tubing bender you should be able to make adjustments.

I've watched video on bending tubing and they all were working with new stuff and cutting it so it was long when they started. Trying to bend this 8" stock piece with the connectors on it is a :mad::cursin::screwy:.
The flair tools I've seen are $$$.

I had to cut those lines in the photo to get the damn carb off. They've probably been on there awhile.

......of course AN soft line is always easier (if not cheaper). If it were a stock factory eddie, id say use the stock steel lines. For your STR, do anything you like!
(That is a seriously cool intake too, by the way!)

Educate me, what's special about that intake? It was on the car when I bought it.

Educate me, what's special about that intake? It was on the car when I bought it.
You have an STR 14 or 15 (one is a b, one is an rb) stands for "street tunnel ram" They were available with three different tops, single four barrel, six pack, and dual four crossram. They have been out of production for decades. Twenty years ago, you might have trouble giving one away, now they are an absolute premium nostalgia manifold, and certainly not cheap!
There were some internal fixes for distribution troubles (glued in popsicle sticks and such), but you would have to find an old mopar engine manual to find them. They are NOT necessary for street use. I'll post a pic of the normal 440 six pack manifold to compare to yours.

20190304_110059.jpg

If you want the info on popsicle sticks LMK I have it.......

Oh, I've seen stock lines used with an STR-14, they might have been tweaked slightly but I don't think so...

Might think about Nicopp line, very easy to bend in gentle curves, tight ones require a good bender though.

IMG_1460.JPG

You have an STR 14 or 15 (one is a b, one is an rb) stands for "street tunnel ram" They were available with three different tops, single four barrel, six pack, and dual four crossram. They have been out of production for decades. Twenty years ago, you might have trouble giving one away, now they are an absolute premium nostalgia manifold, and certainly not cheap!
There were some internal fixes for distribution troubles (glued in popsicle sticks and such), but you would have to find an old mopar engine manual to find them. They are NOT necessary for street use. I'll post a pic of the normal 440 six pack manifold to compare to yours.

View attachment 1126211

Don't mean to sound like a jerk but I have a stock original six pack 440 on another car - I'm looking at how the stock lines fit on that to compare...they hang down like you say. So am trying to get the stock ones to fit. Whoever built this car didn't even bother with stock and used the wrong bolts under the fuel lines because that is one tight damn squeeze.
Well, I'm glad it's a good intake. I don't think the guy I bought it from knew anything about it, and neither did I. Thanks for the info The car is a four speed too which is a blast!

Last edited:
If you want the info on popsicle sticks LMK I have it.......

Oh, I've seen stock lines used with an STR-14, they might have been tweaked slightly but I don't think so...

You can't see it in the above photo but there is a "fin" in the casting and the stock setup has the block right on top of it. Have to tweak the last line.
DSC_1774.jpeg

Took a little searching.... These are normal steel lines, not Stainless, everyone sells stainless but it's been my experience that stainless is to hard & doesn't seal well...

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/rpc6801
At first i looked at that and thought it was just the line from the pump, then i saw it was for six pieces. Thats a hell of a deal! I had way over a hundred bucks of my time making mine, not counting tubing cost and bends that weren't quite right, and round filed. Wish i had known.
Oh well, chalk it up as a learning experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back