• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 slug

Moparbuster

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why/how I have only 4 psi fuel pressure new stainless 3/8 fuel line front back new Carter fuel pump that's rated to 9 psi.new fuel pump rod it's a Howard's hydraulic roller cam does that have anything to do with fuel pressure I love my car and I am very patient man but damn it's aggravating .When it runs right which isn't very often it's a beast

Plugged pickup/tank sock, plugged fuel filter, ...new rod can go bad right off the bat (common problem). Where are you measuring the 4psi?

Measuring at carb line tank sock and pickup tube all are new the rod is comp cams new

Did you make sure to get a pump rod made for a roller cam and not the oem replacement for an iron stick?

Like said above. Also get rid of that Howard's pump rod.

IMG_0589 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0590 (Medium).JPG

Rod is 3.22 when I cold started yesterday it was at 10psi but after running few mins dropped to 7 then after few moe mins dropped to under 5

I do not want to add on to your misery but the guys are right. Bought a used hemi crate motor years ago and got hoodwinked in the deal. No big deal but the cam was flat and the head gaskets were shot. Pulled out and rebuilt the Long block and bought a new comp cam and lifter kit and had the machine shop build the motor. Fast forward I get the engine put back in her and hook it all up. Excited to start the beast it wont [LOL] start checking and zero fuel pressure so start buying new pumps [notice the plural] then call Comp WTF they laugh at me and then tell me to find the right rod. I put in a quality Electric pump, its been in the car 9 years. Good Luck.

Interesting, I'm building a Howards roller cam mill and I used a comp cam pushrod... the one with the bronze end..towards the cam..
Still in assembly mode though

Make the jump to electric. Unfortunately, it seems the days of buying a Carter/Holley mech pump and running it for 10+ years is over. I’m sure the ethanol fuels haven’t helped.

If the roller cam is billet (yes, there are iron rollers), it WILL need a bronze tipped rod with the bronze tip to the cam. I would say your rod got waisted as it wore down, thus resulting in lower and lower pressure due to a loss in stroke for the pump. Hopefully, the cam didn't get damaged, or go to electric as stated above.

The billet cam + fuel pump pushrod pairing rarely works out well in the long run.
Electric is the way to go with that combo.

Auto Transport Service
Back