• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 source damper / stock pulley

65-440

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
So during my 383 build, I decided it would be a good idea to add a new damper to the list. I ended up going with the black sfi one from 440 source. So today I dropped the engine/ Trans in the car. Went to put the front accessory drive together and found the factory main pulley will not fit into the 440 source damper. The bolts in the damper are recessed and the inside diameter is smaller than the pulley. Has anyone else ran across this ??

20161022_193848.jpg 20161008_155413.jpg

Well with a damper inside diameter of 4.43", and the pulley diameter of 4.57", it's a no fit !

i just measured a 440 source re-pop single groove pulley. i'm getting 4.32.

i just measured a 440 source re-pop single groove pulley. i'm getting 4.32.
So with that, it looks like it will work with their pulley. Wish they would advertise that when reading the description of the damper .... thanks for that info .... while you're at it, can I get a total outside diameter of that pulley so I can compare it to the factory one I have ? Thanks

So with that, it looks like it will work with their pulley. Wish they would advertise that when reading the description of the damper .... thanks for that info .... while you're at it, can I get a total outside diameter of that pulley so I can compare it to the factory one I have ? Thanks
6.54" o.d., single groove. there's probably a multitude of different factory pulleys.

Ok, so without the bigger single groove pulley everything fits and lines up .... I can't remeber what that single one was for ?

20161023_122829.jpg 20161023_122904.jpg

Interesting. I'm running their chrome damper and it works great with a stock RB 2 groove. I don't have measurements, but it fits fine.

I have the same one in chrome & my stock 68 4 grove fits just fine, accept I had to slot one of the holes in the pulley.

Come to think of it, 65-440, I have one of their crank pulleys if you're interested.
Thank you for the offer, I actually got everything on and lined up. I used the original 2 groove crank pulley. The problem was the larger single groove that went between the 2 groove and damper, that one would not fit. I decided to leave it out and see how things lines up, looks good to me ! I still want to know what that large shallow single groove was for though ....

Auto Transport Service
Back