• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Heads Questions...Need Opinions

cr8crshr

Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
Putting out some feelers here to see how many of you all are using the 440Source Heads. I am leaning in that direction for my 383 re-do build...:angryfire:...and so far what I have gathered from their web site, they are quite widely used for both Street and Strip. The E-Heads are just too cost prohibitive all though a very viable alternative. My build is more of a Street set up with a little attitude thrown in. Cam is rather tame so I am hoping for compression between 8.5 and 9.5 on pump gas. Don't have the piston depth but they do not set...eyeballed...hardly anything in the hole. Pistons are Flat Top Speed Pro Forged, Crank is a stock crank @ 20/20, Intake Manifold is the Edlebrock Performer, Carb is a Holley 750 Vac Secondary dual feed. Not looking for an outrageous amount of HP. Just good clean operation and performance. I had stock 516's re-worked on the build at first, but after all I have discovered as to what my engine assembler did on the original build, I am not comfortable with them and figure an Aluminum upgrade would be a better option than an Iron Head. All replies are welcome...:headbang:

Had a friend buy the alum 440 Source head. He took them to a local machine shop to have them checked. They found a problem with the valve guides which they corrected. He's not had any problems so far.

Good heads for the cost.. Intake / carb set-up will work just fine, 440S heads will breath a lot better then the stock 516 heads so it is best to run headers for optimal performance. My son in-law is running a set on a rebuilt 440, he did run into some push rod length issues with his roller rocker set-up, might want to keep that in mind if not using stock rockers. Also, being alum. heads you can run up your compression to: 10:1, even with our 91 crap gas here in CommiCalif.
Hope that helps a little.

Putting out some feelers here to see how many of you all are using the 440Source Heads. I am leaning in that direction for my 383 re-do build...:angryfire:...and so far what I have gathered from their web site, they are quite widely used for both Street and Strip. The E-Heads are just too cost prohibitive all though a very viable alternative. My build is more of a Street set up with a little attitude thrown in. Cam is rather tame so I am hoping for compression between 8.5 and 9.5 on pump gas. Don't have the piston depth but they do not set...eyeballed...hardly anything in the hole. Pistons are Flat Top Speed Pro Forged, Crank is a stock crank @ 20/20, Intake Manifold is the Edlebrock Performer, Carb is a Holley 750 Vac Secondary dual feed. Not looking for an outrageous amount of HP. Just good clean operation and performance. I had stock 516's re-worked on the build at first, but after all I have discovered as to what my engine assembler did on the original build, I am not comfortable with them and figure an Aluminum upgrade would be a better option than an Iron Head. All replies are welcome...:headbang:

I run them, and they work great, used the push rod measuring tool $10 to make sure the length was right. also 440s valve train setup.

Here are some picks -
IMAG0414-1.gif

IMAG0517.gif

IMAG0508.gif

IMAG0524.gif

IMAG0525.gif

IMAG0574.gif

IMAG0583.gif

IMAG0586.gif

IMAG0589.gif

very good head for the price, definetly recommend.

make sure to get em checked and ported, add better springs and valves.

scroll back a few pages in engine and drivetrain theres alot fo 440 source head posts

Not sure that you have to have them ported or change the springs if you don't want to. I have not and it has been running like a street monster :) Good out of the box. There was a post recently and someone posted flow numbers and such if you are interested for the money and based on others test result I conclude these heads flow great and the differences in flow rates between eddy and 440s heads are so small your right foot will never know the difference lol

I talked to 440s about their stealth heads in 2011 and yeah they had a bad batch of cast'ed heads from a china smelter but the flaw was found and fixed. Mine must be proof :)

very good head for the price, definitely recommend.

make sure to get em checked and ported, add better springs and valves.

scroll back a few pages in engine and drive train there's a lot for 440 source head posts

Thanks for all the input. I will have my machine shop take a look at them when I make the purchase. Never will I assume again that items are as advertised when building an engine.

FryinBob...I will be running the HP Exhaust Manifolds on this build so headers are out of the question right now. They will work sufficiently with my mild build.

BigMan JB...Nice build Dude. Just an FYI on mine here. I am running a Hughes HEH2328BL Cam and Hughes .906 MOPAR Hydraulic Lifters. No Rollers on this build. Duration @ 50 is 223 on the Intake side and 228 on the Exhaust side. That's at @.050 Tappet Lift. Valve Lift @ 1.5 Ratio is a modest 0.506 Intake and 0.523 on the Exhaust Side. I have CAT 1.5 roller Rockers with MOPAR Chromed Rocker Shaft and stock MOPAR Shaft Hold Downs. I am thinking of using 440Source's Rocker Shaft hold down kit in place. I can also swap out the Valve Keepers, Locks, Shims and Springs...Comp Cams Products already on my 516 heads...in place of the 440Source ones just to cover my Butt. I only use ARP Studs and Bolts on my Engine Builds in place of the Stock ones. So I am good to go there. A mild bowl blend and polishing will be done and the Valves back lapped' Also the Guides and the push rod holes will be checked and corrected if necessary. I have the Push Rod tool and will get an accurate measurement of their length.

Benno440...Thanks for the suggestion. I spent the afternoon reading every and all topics related to the 440Source Heads. Seems that the earlier versions were less Quality Assured as to the more recent offerings. But like anything these days, always inspect before using as things produced today in this Global Economy can be suspect at best.

For me...it is about the economics and the cash flow. If the Aluminum is Cast off shore and then machined in the USA, that is fine by me. Just so long as the USofA has the ability to be involved in the machining and manufacturing of their product is good enough for me. I know also that the Eddy Heads are cast off shore and machined here in CA at their plant. So its Mox Mix. Besides...Next to Germany, US Machining is some of the best in the World...IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback so far and keep it coming...cr8crshr/Tuck

lol careful saying eddy heads are cast offshore alot of eddy blokes here will get cranky, and disagree with you. but we all know they are

lol careful saying eddy heads are cast offshore alot of eddy blokes here will get cranky, and disagree with you. but we all know they are

Denial I guess. In this expanded World it is what it is. I have been to the Edlebrock operations here in CA and the clearly get the castings from off shore and then mill and machine them. But if they want to believe something else then OK. We know better. G-Day Mate...

Auto Transport Service
Back