• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source heads ??

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
I just got a set of the stealth heads from 440 Source. Do the factory pushrods work with these heads. And will i need to open the pushrod bore as I have the 3/8 pushrods. It's a stock 440+6.

Read the directions, what do they say? You probably will have to hog out the holes. Good Luck

Read the directions, what do they say? You probably will have to hog out the holes. Good Luck
I just opened the boxes & read the info. I guess the pushrod holes will probably need opened. But more of a concern, someone said the stock pushrods might not fit for length. is that true.

You really should do a mock-up check to get accurate pushrod lengths...but, if you're using the factory valvetrain and regular hydraulic lifters..I'd bet my next piece of *** the factory-length rods will be just fine. I've run factory rods on Edelbrock heads with no issues, and I don't see the "Stealth" that's marketed as a factory-copy being any different. As long as they give you anywhere from .020" to .080" of preload on your lifters on the heel of the cam you're golden.
I can't comment on whether or not the holes will need massaging as you have 3/8", but your best bet is to put everything together and check them through several turns of the motor.

I'm pretty sure stock length fits fine, but lobe lift can effect pushrod to head clearance.

I ran a 5/16 pushrod in mine w a .541/.537 lift hydraulic roller. Broke one of the cups on #8 pushrod. Per 440 anything over about .510 lift will require 3/8 and above that they recommend roller rockers. I only had to do intake side for clearance once I got the new 3/8" pushrods.

I just got a set of the stealth heads from 440 Source. Do the factory pushrods work with these heads. And will i need to open the pushrod bore as I have the 3/8 pushrods. It's a stock 440+6.
How do they look out of the box, been debating on a set.

On both sets of Stealth heads I have had, the builder had to clearance for 3/8" pushrods.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to upgrade the push rods and do a mock up......

Im running 5/16 push rods and they cleared, however I still removed some material to be safe. Had my shop check them out. They didnt like the seats so they recut them. I had .020 taken off them. They came in at 79cc after the cut. Make sure to blend the cast surface under the seats!

Sorry for backtracking.. what kind of rocker and camshaft profile?

I'm going to run 5/16", .083" wall pushrods on a mid .500" lift hydraulic roller cam which should be more than adequate. The roller rockers I'm using take a ball/ball pushrod so no pushrod cup or ball adjuster to break.
A .5 lift cam with springs to match shouldn't be breaking push rods.....especially a roller.

A .5 lift cam with springs to match shouldn't be breaking push rods.....especially a roller.
He didn't say .500 cam, he said "mid" .500, as in .550, cam. I broke Smith Brothers 5/16 pushrod on a .547 lift hydraulic roller. It was a clean break where the bottom of the pin from the cup pressed into the tube. Smith Brothers said they don't know why the tech sold me 5/16" pushrods as they would have recommended 3/8". 440 Source and Smith Brothers both recommend 3/8" on anything over .520 lift hydraulic roller.

Auto Transport Service
Back