• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Stealth Cylinder Heads

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting myself a set of 440 Source Stealth aluminum heads for my street/strip 440. I have used 915's for the past 18 years but I would like to give the Stealth heads a go. I would like to hear from others who use or have used these heads and let me know what you think of them and provide your engine combination. Thanks!

I have them on my current project. 64 Savoy Wagon. 440 10.6:1 compression., Stealth heads with minor port work and a port match to the performer RPM intake, a Hughes mechanical cam and a holly 800. I bought the car with the engine built and installed. They seem to be OK for what they are. . An upgrade from the cast iron heads, not a true race head. If you are going to send them out for full port work I would recommend starting with something bigger to begin with. But for my combination I think they are great, no problems or issues thus far. As far as how much power they make... I will have a better idea once I get the car to the track in a few weeks.

Great thread as I too am leaning that way. Was going to build a big 440 and have the block already to stroke it out. But the economy and condition of the country made me change plans so I don't run out of money before I run out of a JOB. I have decided on building the 383 that is in my Coronet now to pump out about 425-450HP. I am looking at the 440 source heads as they seem to be a rather inexpensive way to go aluminum for a little higher compression. I am hoping they are adequate enough to make this engine fairly torquey and last a while too. I will be listening to what others say as a response......

I have a set ready to be installed on my 451 that we are building. I can say this - my machinist took a look at them and out of the box the seats all looked good and were concentric. The seat pressures of the springs were all over the place so he had to go through and shim them, but once set, they were plenty for my cam which is a touch over 500 lift, as long as I don't rev it to the moon.

stealth heads won't flow near they're advertised numbers. edelbrocks won't flow at they're advertised numbers but are closer than stealths are. to get close to the stealths full potential they will need to be sent to a head shop for work. keep in mind your only paying a grand for these things so don't expect two grand performance. if it were me i'd talk to marsh performance and get some info on they're sidewinder heads. you can go to another mopar website and request out of the box stealth flow numbers. i have some numbers but would rather not post some else's work.

Of course I should add they don't have a single mile on them, so who knows they could completely fall apart as soon as I bolt them up lol

if it were me and i wanted stealths then i would have them sent directly to dwayne porter of porter racing heads in south burlington vermont. if one is going to jump thru the alum head hoop then make it worthwhile. i think edelbrocks are $1600+ now, trick flows $2000. i'm certain sidewinders are cheaper than edelbrocks. i wasn't overly impressed with the edelbrock rpms i bought a couple of years ago. to bring them up to advertised specs i probably would have had $2000 in them. the costs of all this drove me back to iron heads, and the only thing i race anymore is a lawn chair.

I use them on my 440 /493 strokes motor right out of the box they work fine. Of course they can be ported / polished and flow better as to how much I don't know yet. Will soon after I get my car back from the body shop taking the heads off to a local racer friend molar family to have them gone through, I bought them knowing I would do this one day as they advertise another 100 hp potential with work right? So at 9.6:1 compression and a vac sec 780 aft carb these heads a get 450+ at the crank. Around 512 torque. Feels good I run hyd roller cam and lifters, before that I was running solid rollers on a hyd roller cam seems silly but it ran better as far as power goes, don't get me wrong I can fry the tires and any given moment. I built this motor to have excellent low end a decent mid which is what I got, hoping working these heads ads the icing on the cake by brining in that extra oomph at the top. She is all done at 4800 right now but will go to 6 k without complaining. Was looking at the heads Chrysler power is selling those look real good and around the same price as the stealth's. May want to give them a look I'm seriously considering them instead of working these stealth's.

440, 10.5:1 compression, 91 octane, service prepped Stealth heads (250 cfm @ .400, 278cfm @ .500), RPM intake, ProForm 750cfm 4150, XE284H cam, 551 LB-FT @3,800 rpm and 514 HP @ 5,100 rpm.

Josh Cox 440 024.jpg

Josh Cox 440 024.jpg

From what I found out with my 400/512 stroker build, the regular stealth heads will work but depending on the build a little port work would help out and not leave anything on the table. For that reason I went with their CNC stealth heads which came with that work done. With my build they required the upgraded seals, locks, etc, on the valves, once those were installed the heads bolted right on and engine been running great during break in on a stand. Actually goes in vehicle Friday!

They are a little more expensive than the regular stealth heads but to get that kind of work done after the fact (CNC) would be way more expensive. So far so good and they were about the same cost as a set of Edelbrocks.

I had great service with 440 too!

Good luck.

Have close to 500 miles on my bone stock stealths now. They are running well so far with the stock valve train and 4lbs of boost, only have taken them to 5k, due to motor break in, will test them at 6k soon. Cam is a hydralic flat tappet sum-6401, 466 in, 488 ex. Have a close look in bolt holes, under the springs ect for machining shavings, I found a curl inside one spring, and another elswhere.

Pulled one head apart, the keepers and retainers, jam up, was not smooth coming apart and there were burrs left on the valve stem. I did not file the burrs off and left the valves in but they all wiggle tested fine with respect to the guides. I should have changed the keepers to better ones before I installed the heads, because to change the springs now may be a pain with the heads on the car. I am liking the cam I have now, but a year from now, who knows?

I have a set on both my 440 and 451. Neither had any port work done and they suit my needs just fine. Just mild builds though 488hp - 543ft.lbs, and 544hp - 549ft.lbs. respectfully.

Out of the box they are just aluminum replacements for the stock heads, done up they are probably a good improvement it all depends on what your doing with the motor.

I found the info on those Chrysler heads that came out in 2014, and yes made in America! lol I talked to 44s once about the stealths and other stuff they have, the heads are cast in china based on their design and then sent to them to be fitted out and checked/flowed, having it cast in china allows them to offer it at a lower cost savings to us. But looking at the Toth heads below for the same price you get made in America sooooooo....

Street Fighter heads By Bruce Toth
USA made from A356 T6 aluminum; combustion chamber volume 84cc; exhaust runner volume 70cc; Intake runner volume 210cc; Angled spark plug location; Intake valve diameter 2.14; Exhaust valve diameter 1.81; 15 Degree valve angle; valve stem diameter 11/32; Valve guide material Bronze; Stainless valves; Direct bolt on; oil through head like stock... $1195 complete for hydraulic apps and $1395 for solid apps... porting and polishing options available... ph 888.548.2282

Here is a facebook link if interested, I am seriously reconsidering a set of these in lieu of having the stealths worked price is the same I would imagine.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005463167895&sk=photos&collection_token=100005463167895%3A2305272732%3A69&set=a.324787601046676.1073741835.100005463167895&type=3&pnref=story

Oh forgot here is the info where to buy them and the description from Chrysler Power web store. http://chryslerpower.com/webstore/Exhaust/Engine Heads/Big-Block-Aluminum-Heads

For those that want the brute bragging rights of mammoth big block performance, CPPA unveiled at Big Daddy Don Garlits their NEW StreetFighter and StripFighter Seriesbig block heads... A high quality yet economical set (complete with valves, springs, retainers), these babies will put a new spring in your big block step!
For big block engines 350, 361, 383, 400, 413, 426, 440.
CPPA Street Fighter heads made from A356 T6 aluminum; combustion chamber volume 84cc; exhaust runner volume 70cc; intake runner volume 210cc; angled spark plug location; intake valve diameter 2.14; Exhaust valve diameter 1.81; 15 degree valve angle; valve stem diameter 11/32; valve guide material bronze; stainless valves; direct bolt on; oil through head like stock head. 50hp* street bolt on for only $1395!!! Hipo and competition packages available-mild to wild!
Options
ProPrep-Level 1-quality control inspection/gasket match/clean up all flashing — $294

I am seriously reconsidering a set of these in lieu of having the stealths worked price is the same I would imagine.

bigman, If you do decided to go that route could a man get a great deal on your Stealth heads?

there are some folks selling what looks like edelbrock clones. they sell them bare for around $300 a pair but you have to buy a bunch of them to get that price. i believe these heads to be the sidewinder/cppa/ garlits heads. shops are installing valves and springs and doing port work per the customer to get a head tailored for a specific build at a cheaper price. these could be a true out of the box head to fit a persons needs with no additional work needed; probably what i should've done.

Auto Transport Service
Back