• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Water pump housing ?

flatiron44

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
I need to replace the water pump housing on my 383 I wanna install a after market water temperature Guage and I think that plug has been in the original since 1969.
Anyhow I have a Aluminum housing replacement from 440 source. I was wondering how the's are for sealing to a cast iron block ?

Wasn't there a housing that didn't flow as well as stock? Whose housing was that one?

Wasn't there a housing that didn't flow as well as stock? Whose housing was that one?
The440Source did have a run of poorly made housings several years ago that had smaller internal passages. They claim to have changed their molds and corrected the problem.

I had one with the smaller passage. It is a non issue with medium builds. It can be addressed with a die grinder and opened up to what you need.

There was a thread or two about the same question not long ago. Someone questioned the 440 source housing and posted a pic of an original 440 pump from a motor home verses an aluminum housing from 440 source. I just bought the one from them as I have an original 68 motor.
Here is the picture that was posted:
C3F7171C-73C0-41A0-A090-C1F915960325[1][1].jpeg

My 440 Source housing doesn't have restricted port sizes but they don't match up well with gasket holes. Stock versus 440 Source comparison, gasket shows stain from overhanging and running with 440 Source housing.

KIMG2763 (1).JPG KIMG2764 (1).JPG

I've used around 20 of them myself and never had an issue - the sets they had years ago did have a smaller cooling massage - was fixed soon after it was discovered through people contacting them - I actually got a 440source delivery today and it includes a water pump housing.

FWIW I had one of the early ones and it was a part of my overheating problems (had several things I ended up working on). I would never use an early one if you found one at a swap. YMMV.

I have one of the early mopar ones on my MW and its been on there since the engine was built. That engine has had heating problems. I'm thinking that might be the problem. Will be looking closely at it and report my findings as well. Ruffcut

Auto Transport Service
Back