• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 thermostat?

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
My 440 wants to run about 190-195 degrees in town and about 210 on the highway. 440, 727, 6 pack with 355 gears. I’m using a 180 degree thermostat, dual electric fans and aluminum radiator. Should I just go with a 195 thermostat? I live in Florida.

I run a 195 in my 6 bbl but in Florida a 180 should be fine. It won't change your driving temps either way

Wow, a $35 thermostat? Really?
What happened to a SuperStat being good enough?

Wow, a $35 thermostat? Really?
What happened to a SuperStat being good enough?

A Super Stat is good enough as long as you buy the premium one. Stant sells three grades of thermostat, econo, fleet and premium. The premium is the one to buy and it isn't very expensive. I think they are about $8 at Summit.

what RPM are you on the highway? Never heard temp going up on highway,I would think it would be the other way around. Are you running a shroud?

A Super Stat is good enough as long as you buy the premium one. Stant sells three grades of thermostat, econo, fleet and premium. The premium is the one to buy and it isn't very expensive. I think they are about $8 at Summit.
Yep.

what RPM are you on the highway? Never heard temp going up on highway,I would think it would be the other way around. Are you running a shroud?

Temp can go up on a freeway, sometimes it will go way up if the airflow is blocked off. People who have electric fans sometimes have that problem. Temp will also go up on the freeway if the engine doesn't have vacuum advance. Drag race guys who run mechanical only distributors sometimes have overheating problems driving to the track. The engine needs more advance when cruising which is where vacuum advance comes in.

The one I posted above in #6 is the Premium Stant...

Those are not high flow. They all have the same 1.125" opening. The Robertshaw or EMP/Stewart are 1 7/16". The difference in flow is significant.

May well be; however, the 180* Stant works fine for my situation. 446",10:1, hot street cam, Griffin aluminum 26" radiator, 18" 7 blade Mopar mechanical fan. I might ad that the summer time temperature in the California Central Valley exceeds 100* often, and almost always is in the 90s. To each his own...

Those are not high flow. They all have the same 1.125" opening. The Robertshaw or EMP/Stewart are 1 7/16". The difference in flow is significant.

The 512 inch big block in my car stays in the 180 to 190 range with a premium Stant 180 thermostat. I do have a Stewart sitting on the shelf if I need it but so far I've never needed it. I have a stock Cordoba radiator in my Duster with a factory shroud and the big 7 blade fan with the clutch so that probably helps. I also run a lot of timing advance at idle and cruise which helps keep the engine temps down.

My 440 wants to run about 190-195 degrees in town and about 210 on the highway. 440, 727, 6 pack with 355 gears. I’m using a 180 degree thermostat, dual electric fans and aluminum radiator. Should I just go with a 195 thermostat? I live in Florida.

Your electric fans are blocking the airflow at freeway speeds which is why the temp goes up. See if you can add some flapper valves to allow more airflow. Do you have a vacuum advance distributor that is working? If not then add vacuum advance and your cruising temps will come down.

Your electric fans are blocking the airflow at freeway speeds which is why the temp goes up. See if you can add some flapper valves to allow more airflow. Do you have a vacuum advance distributor that is working? If not then add vacuum advance and your cruising temps will come down.
Good points. I added the 2 16” fans with aluminum shroud last fall when it was cooler. Also had 2:71 gears then too. I’m using an msd dizzy hooked to manifold vacuum. I’ll look into flapper valves.

Good points. I added the 2 16” fans with aluminum shroud last fall when it was cooler. Also had 2:71 gears then too. I’m using an msd dizzy hooked to manifold vacuum. I’ll look into flapper valves.
Actually I have 2 12” fans.

When I wrote this post in may, ambient temperature was low 80s. I cut holes in the aluminum shroud and added the flappers (6) with little change.

drove it tonight, 91 degrees, 100% humidity here in Florida, and it runs 205 to 210 either in town or on highway. That’s with both electric fans on. I guess I should be happy 210 is still the upper limit? I ran it hard and never saw 211.

Does your radiator have an overflow bottle? They help to keep the radiator completely full.

Does your radiator have an overflow bottle? They help to keep the radiator completely full.
Funny you ask. I’m looking at one at summit now. It was a 1/2 gallon low.

Auto Transport Service
Back