• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 timing question

roadrunner57

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
So is this advanced 20 degrees? So should I be close to where the rotor points to the #1 plug wire? Thanks in advance.

77063A4F-9C4D-44DE-9C20-25B3117FB8F8.jpeg

Yes... you'll need to confirm with a light once running.... BTW, 20 initial advance is kinda a lot on most engines at start, which is what you are doing right now.... I'd dial it back to 5 to start most likely.

So is this advanced 20 degrees? So should I be close to where the rotor points to the #1 plug wire? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1300126

Yes... you'll need to confirm with a light once running.... BTW, 20 initial advance is kinda a lot on most engines at start, which is what you are doing right now.... I'd dial it back to 5 to start most likely.
Depends on how much cylinder pressure the engine has. If it's 8.5-1, cylinder pressure (with a stock cam) will most likely be low and will like more initial and total. At least that's the way every low compression engine I've worked with was. My recommendation is to give it what it likes.....

You need to know how much mechanical advance your particular distributor is providing at around 2500-3k, then set your initial accordingly for about 34-36 total. If you have for example 20° mechanical, you can go 14-16° initial and make adjustments from there. Some distributors have as much as 30° mechanical (mine did) Combine that with your 20 initial and its much more than needed.

your rotor should be pointing past #2 plug wire and a little bit before #1 plug wire in your dist cap.

Just wondering, but can't you check it with a multimeter in contact mode (or whatever it's called) when the rotor is contacting cyl #1 plug wire post and see at how many degrees that is at the balancer?
Would still not be exact as I guess it will be showing a few more degrees on the balancer as it actually is sparking, but just for a ball park figure?
I never tried it but wondered if anyone is using this method?

The best way to know where it's at is to first find 'true TDC' and proceed from there. That's also the first things that should be done when you want to degree in a cam instead of using the not so accurate dot method.

Auto Transport Service
Back