• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 type

• Thread starter Deleted member 31207
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 31207

Hello,
I have access to a big motorhome early 70's and the prime mover is a 440cui MoPar, how can I tell what this engine has for HP and what would it take to get the 375 HP.

you could buy the mopar engine book and it will tell you what you need and part numbers.

I do not recommend buying a motor home to get a 440 engine. If you can buy the engine out of a motor home, okay. Getting rid of a motor home shell can be an expensive experience. For that reason, I will never again buy a motor home to get the engine.

I built a Motor home 440. They are low compression engines and will need some work to make power. But with the standard bottom end and some closed chamber heads as well as a hughes cam I think its called the Hughes Whiplash cam HUG SMC3245BL for low compression engine. This will help a ton.

My engine was in bad need of a machine shop. It sat on a trailer out in a field for 20 years the guy told me.. My dumbass bought it anyhow. But it had some bad pitting in 2 cylinders from rain water. Anyhow now its .30 over and much better than the low compression it once was.. Only 5000 dollars later. But cam and heads should be a more budget friendly approach.

Early 70's
what year
get the engine number
really early 70's still used 413 HD engines (spark plugs on top like a small block)
there may be a magic early 70 440 with reasonable compression but I would have to search out which years just as you will have to do
can you run a compression test and report back?

Auto Transport Service
Back