• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Water Pump Housing Passenger > Driver

1Tlew0

Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this has been discussed, but I could not find anything on the subject.

Motor - Later year (76) 440. This motor has never been in the car and will end up being built in the coming months.

Car - 68 Coronet. Rolling chassis at the moment. No Radiator in the car, will need to order one.

Water Pump Housing - Current configuration has the dump on the passenger side, and I want to switch it over to the drivers side. Will I have any issues with brackets, or holes aligning properly?

I'm still learning, so take it easy on me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would think you shouldn’t have an issue, normal outlet is on the drivers side. Once you have it bolted on the block everything should bolt right up.

i have done that many times you should not have any problems if you use pre 71 brackets

One difference that I have found is between the MH pumps ( right side exit) and those for cars (left side exit) is the motor home pumps have a "Sewer Drain" sized water passage inside compared to the car units which have a tiny passage the size of a #2 pencil. Other than that they should bolt right on.

To view different water pumps and what they go on see here:

Water Pump Housings from www.440 Source.com

Notice the difference between the passage in the second picture down there and the the third one....lol.
The pump on my 440 is a right hand exit MH pump....

20210630_102355.jpg

Do yourself a favor and a get a driver side pump

Auto Transport Service
Back