• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 with a Procharger

Bigal75

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
How durable are the factory 440's? Can the steel crank take any horsepower? lso are those main girdles worth it?

I'm looking at a Procharger set up for my 67 R/T and wan't to know a factory block that's properly set up can handle decent power.

How about adding cross bolt main caps like a HEMI? Can that be done?

I haven't personally done it but the BB Chrysler block is about as good as it gets for a factory design. If someone is already doing what you want to do to a Chevy then using the 440 should be a non issue. How much HP are you trying to get? If you are looking at 800 to over 1000 then you might want to spend some money on a lot of aftermarket hardware no matter what the make or break parts. A good crank and rods will be required for that kind of HP and there are main girdles out there that tie to the pan rail using ARP studs, etc... Not much material in the side of the block to allow for cross bolts on a 440. The HEMI's have large cast bosses for that purpose.

Thats the issue. If I have to get a race block, I'll just buil a HEMI instead. Power output would be 800hp+ with decent heads. I'm not new to boost, just MOPARS :)

Let's try and answer some of the questions.

The stock factory steel cranks. Hmmm. I'm running a forged 440 crank in my 451 stroker and made 621 HP in the first tests and about 100 pulls later, we were making 787 HP, normally aspirated on pump gas. Yes, the factory crank is pretty stout. The 451 is using only the stock main caps held in with ARP main studs.

Although I have never used one, in my opinion, the girdles do help to strengthen the bottom end. You can put the 4-bolt main caps in the factory 440 block. Does that work? Our personal 500 ci RB has made 846 HP with the 4-bolt main conversion and can be seen in the March 2012 Mopar Muscle Magazine at 730 HP with ported factory iron heads on pump gas. We are now doing the 4-bolt main conversion, on what is expected to be, an 800+ HP, pump gas, 500 ci wedge. When we build the next one I plan on using the Chenoweth girdle as there is a considerable cost saving.

That decent enough?

Having said all that, if you can go with a Hemi or an aftermarket block, do that. The 400 or 440 are strong blocks, but they weren't designed for that horsepower.

mancini racing makes several choices of main girdles.take a look at those.

A 440 block can still take alot of HP though .This is why when I was worried about the low end of the engine I bought a forged eagle crank...just incase

Let's try and answer some of the questions.

The stock factory steel cranks. Hmmm. I'm running a forged 440 crank in my 451 stroker and made 621 HP in the first tests and about 100 pulls later, we were making 787 HP, normally aspirated on pump gas. Yes, the factory crank is pretty stout. The 451 is using only the stock main caps held in with ARP main studs.

Although I have never used one, in my opinion, the girdles do help to strengthen the bottom end. You can put the 4-bolt main caps in the factory 440 block. Does that work? Our personal 500 ci RB has made 846 HP with the 4-bolt main conversion and can be seen in the March 2012 Mopar Muscle Magazine at 730 HP with ported factory iron heads on pump gas. We are now doing the 4-bolt main conversion, on what is expected to be, an 800+ HP, pump gas, 500 ci wedge. When we build the next one I plan on using the Chenoweth girdle as there is a considerable cost saving.

That decent enough?

Having said all that, if you can go with a Hemi or an aftermarket block, do that. The 400 or 440 are strong blocks, but they weren't designed for that horsepower.

It is good power that's for sure. It's just I've had a turbo set up before and the bug has bit and think a supercharged or turbocharged big block Coronet would be kinda cool.

How about a 400 low deck? I heard it can handle more power?

It is good power that's for sure. It's just I've had a turbo set up before and the bug has bit and think a supercharged or turbocharged big block Coronet would be kinda cool.

How about a 400 low deck? I heard it can handle more power?

It is said that the early year 400's have better main supports. Some good info here http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm The .720" shorter block deck by itself adds little to nothing to the rigidity in my opinion. The real benefit is the extra material in the main supports.

Not MoPar related but related nonetheless. I have a buddy in KC that runs a Ford 351W with a turbo in a Zephyr wagon. Insane HP!!! Car has ran a best of 10.06 with 3.36 gears and an AOD, is totally street drivable and gets 14 MPG keeping your foot out of it. Based on his experience he says a 440 with a turbo / EFI setup should be able to easily get 900 HP. Plus the block is theoretically stronger than the 351W AND we get 17 head bolts per head.

The 440 will handle the power, my dad when he had his back in the day handled 800hp n/a, now with boost playing in not that big of a deal since its a gradual increase on power and easier on internals, there are guys and the turboforums making 1000hp with just a steel crank and h beams rods. Since you know turbos already you know what I'm saying. When I build my twin turbo motor the only reason I'm going aftermaket block is the one I'm looking at they redesigned the oil passages to feed the mains first then heads, and all 5 caps are cross bolted, but a mian guirdle will do about the same. I personally prefer turbos cause I can change boost from inside my car and don't have to worry about a pulley change, do the pro chargers work the same as turbos or do you need to change pullies?

To change the boost on the procharger you need to change pulleys.

Sounds like an awesome plan and please keep us posted! Ever since I bought my Charger I've been planning on building a procharged 440 for it, just currently have my hands full just getting the car restored to start with haha

I had a good friend that ran a 440 out of 1972 highway patrol car for years with a 6:71 blower on it. It lasted for years with a completely stock long block. He pulled it to replace it with a blower built engine so he could run more boost, but all that was wrong with it when he pulled it was a broken rocker shaft. Like has been stated a 440 is a tough engine.
Matt

Auto Transport Service
Back