• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440hp engine dont Rev over 5500

Lemon_Belve

Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I have a Problem with my 69 440hp engine. It is Stock engine with edelbrock Performer RPM intake, holley 770 street Avenger carb and hedman Headers.
Distributor is Something No Name electronic Distributor with new magnetic Pickup. Everything works fine with this. Air Gap is fine
New Carter m6903 fuel Pump with new 3/8 Line and Filter from Pump to carb.
Before it was a Standard Big Block pump

Sparkplug are Autolite 85
Sparkplug wires are MSD 8.5mm and Taylor hi Energy 8mm
As ignition I have a Orange Box, a MSD 6al and a GM HEI parallel
Every wire from Distributor to ignition, from coil etc is complete new from my own. Seperate Switch for Switched positive 12v, negative cable from battery direct to ignition.

Ignition coil for Orange Box is a cheap Standard coil with Ballast resistor and fast ps040 coil with or without resistor

For MSD 6al I used fast ps040 without resistor and Ford fd478 coil.
For GM HEI I use the fd478 coil.

With the orange Box its only possible to Rev until 4800rpm and it Break Up

With GM HEI it is possible to Rev until 5200 and with MSD 6al until 5500rpm.

Here a Video with the GM HEI Setup :

I don't know what will be my issue?
I have a short rear end (4.3) so I need the higher RPM.
Any idea?

Best regards
André

If U want the 440 to rev higher, U need a few things..
Better ignition system, updated valve train, improved cam/lifters..

Just my $0.02...

Is that in neutral??

First things first, what's the status of the heads and valve springs .

Is that in neutral??

First things first, what's the status of the heads and valve springs .
This was Neutral, but it was the same in every Gear under load.

Forgotten information
Timing 37° full Timing at 3000rpm. Initial 15°

I dont Take off the heads until now. Springs were the 440hp Red springs.
As I said, not dissambled until now

Hello Guys,

I have a Problem with my 69 440hp engine. It is Stock engine with edelbrock Performer RPM intake, holley 770 street Avenger carb and hedman Headers.
Any idea?

Best regards
André

If you'll check the Manufactures specifications for performance on a stock engine says that your redline is less than 5000 RPM's, I'd be happy if I could buzz a motor that high before parts go flying! Unless you want an Indy cars that rev's at 12000 RPM's, I don't see what the problem is?

A bone stock 69 hp will run best shifting at 5500 in the quarter. With points no less.

Just some friendly advise, don’t rev your engine that high in neutral, there is nothing to be gained from this action.

the stock cam & valve springs aren’t good for anything more than that anyway. Not making power, just making noise.

you have the wrong gear ratio for that stock engine.

how high do you think it should rev?

I don't know about "redline", and a cam swap would change this, but peak power for an hp 440 was around 4700-4900, and power was gone before 5500.
That said, the current production of "orange boxes" is terrible, counterfeits are everywhere, and real ones new from Mopar aren't much good either. GM HEI were rpm limited when they first came out, I don't know what current standing is. So, id use the MSD. And I certainly wouldn't shift past about 5300.
The 440 is known for low end torque, high rpm power is limited by the stock cylinder head flow.
If you want more top end power, you will want better cylinder heads, and more camshaft and valve springs.

Thank you for all your information.

I did read so many Threads where the Guys revs their 440s to 6500 or Something Else...
So

I brought the Car with this rear end and with our German Autobahn...

The MSD Box have a Rev limite with 6200rpm
With or without, its equal.

Amy Tips for Other Spark plugs?

So, my Main Problem is that every Part which I Order in US Cost me 25-30% more than for you in case of taxes etc plus freight costs...

Buy some valve springs and some 2.94/3.23 gears.

Are you saying you want it to drive better on the Autobahn? 4.30 is not a highway gear. Every 1969 440 Mopar with 3.23's I rode in could cruise at over 100mph all day. With 3.08's, most speedometers would get buried. You don't need 5500 to do either of those things.

Guys revs their 440s to 6500

German Autobahn

How fast do you want to go on our autobahn?

I agree with @RemCharger. Putting in a numerically lower rear gear (and maybe bigger rims and tires) would be the cheapest option.
As long as you're not planning to go really fast.
If you want to run sustained 6500rpm you're basically looking to build the engine similar as for a boat application.
You can build a big block for high rpms but it'll get way more expensive and complicated then swapping the rear gear ratio.
It would also be a good idea to run a lockup converter (or manual transmission) for sustained high rpm usage.

Yes its true ordering parts from the united states as a german takes significantly more time, money and effort compared to ordering as an us resident.
In fact, tomorrow we'll have another appointment at the local customs office. :D

I think a 3rd member swap will be the best Option. Tires I can Go from 255/60 15 to 255/70 15, but it will only Change 7%

I like the snappy driving with Short axle. I don't drive a mopar with longer axle until now

I did read so many Threads where the Guys revs their 440s to 6500 or Something Else...

Not a stock 440 . . . at least without the last of the sentence being . . . and then I scattered it guts all over the pavement. These engines were rated max power at 4600 rpm although that was a bit conservative. They were done in and well past their peak by 5400 rpm with stock heads, cam, exhaust, etc.

I think a 3rd member swap will be the best Option. Tires I can Go from 255/60 15 to 255/70 15, but it will only Change 7%

I like the snappy driving with Short axle. I don't drive a mopar with longer axle until now
Pretty hard to do both without a tranny change

Short and long axles?

Considering the cost and shipping, a ring and pinion set is the way to go. Use the money you save over a carrier to buy clutches, bearings, and seals. Then you know what you have when you driving at speed.

Auto Transport Service
Back