• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440Source?

YellowDodge67

Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with 440Source's products? There "forged" stroker kits sound pretty reasonable and the price on their aluminum heads are really good, so was just seeing if anyone has heard anything good or bad about the quality of their stuff.

http://store.440source.com/

I'm running thier 500 ci stroker kit in my 71 gtx clone . It has been in the car since 2007 with no issues so far. Bob
71plymouth.jpg

My cam , heads, & intake all came from hughes engines inc.worked eldelbrock rpm heads,port matched 440 victor intake,custom ground626 lift cam.
71plymouth.jpg

Their valve spring retainers were suspect at one stage (locks pulling through the retainers), I don't know if they've addressed the issue or not.
We checked them on a 440 after it'd done roughly 500/1000miles (including a few 12.40 passes over the quarter)and sure enough the retainer heights were all over the place, we changed them in the car.
The outer edge of the 440Source retainers was very thin, about half the thickness of the Comp Cams replacments.

You are going to get a lot of opinions both ways about 440 Source. My personal experience with them is good. I have the Stealth heads and the water pump housing and water pump. I had heard some bad stuff about the heads but it sounded like more like the older ones and not the revised ones that I bought. Also had a ton of guys complaining about overheating issues and blamed the 440 Source pump and housing. I had already bought them when I read that info so I installed a 160 T stat when I put it together. I never saw it over 170 all summer. I will probably go to a 180 next summer because it runs too cool. Just my .02!

i have their storker kit, water pump and housing, starter windage tray, balancer, heads, rocker arms, etc. i did change the locks on the heads just in case, i have had great luck with their parts.

I changed my locks also, but only because they recommended it with my cam. So far I am very happy with their products.

I have heard good and bad as well but will be using there balancer and possibly little odds and ends,heard good things about there stroker kits though!

so far i've only bought a couple things from them and it's been ok.

the power steering pump i bought from 440 source looked pretty cheap when i got it, so i bought one from year one to compare...far better quality!!! it looked like a much better product, so i installed the year one pump, and it's been workin' great so far!

also, i've been told by more than a bunch of MoPar guys to stay away from 440's water pumps...it's no-flo crap!!!!

I have a performance shop and tried their products, didn't care for them. You can get more flow from a set of stock steel mopar heads if ported correctly than out of the box stealth heads. This isn't hear say I port heads and have tested them on my Superflow SF600.

I have a performance shop and tried their products, didn't care for them. You can get more flow from a set of stock steel mopar heads if ported correctly than out of the box stealth heads. This isn't hear say I port heads and have tested them on my Superflow SF600.

Maybe this is true...but it may cost you more than the new ones and you still have a set of 40 year old heads. There are some advantages of aluminum over steel also. Just my .02.

so far i've only bought a couple things from them and it's been ok.

the power steering pump i bought from 440 source looked pretty cheap when i got it, so i bought one from year one to compare...far better quality!!! it looked like a much better product, so i installed the year one pump, and it's been workin' great so far!

also, i've been told by more than a bunch of MoPar guys to stay away from 440's water pumps...it's no-flo crap!!!!

I read all the stuff about the water pump and housing too, but after I had already bought them. I'm glad that I decided to do my own testing before just taking the internet as gospel, because they work great! I am running a stock radiator that I had recored about 10 years ago a 160 T-stat and it never got over 170 all summer. It can't flow too bad!

I've bought a few parts from them and haven't had any problems. Good prices for the parts.

for what it will cost you for machining and resizing, just go with a eagle rotating assembly and be done with it.its cheap for a reason!

they are decent if you replace the crappy chinese locks, retainers and springs with good ones :D

had a friend run his straight out of the box and dropped two valves during a burnout on the strip due to faulty locks.

I have a set of there rocker arms. They are not that great. The roller bearings on the shaft dont last long. I am trying to decide weather or not to buy new bearings for them, sell them, or just toss them. In there defense they are a year or so old and I have heard they have revised them and they may be fixed now. I would run one of there stroker kits though.

it's too expensive to buy cheap in this sport. save up for good quality parts and don't
2nd guess yourself.

I am using their 440-493 stroker kit. But I am using Indy EZ heads and Hugh's rocker arms. The stroker kit looks good as I am building the eng now. Hope to have it ready and in the car by April. Ron

I've had problems with their parts not even fitting. "How could this distributor not fit on my 440, it's from freaking 440 source!?". Three hours of frustration later I drove over to a local speed shop and bought an MSD. I've been happy with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back