• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46RH torque converter lock up

Paul_G

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
This does not happen all the time. As the car is coming to a stop the engine rpms come way down till the engine starts to buck, and the engine will die as it stops if I dont put it in neutral. It feels like the torque converter is in lock up when it should not be.

Here is the thing, I have a switch under the dash to kill the power to the lock up and overdrive solenoids. The power is off when this problem is happening. If I just cruise around normally this problem does not happen, it will always happen after a quick trip to 5000RPM, and then slowing to a stop.

Could it be from the high line pressure at high rpm is pushing through the de energized, but faulty, lock up solenoid engaging the lock up converter when it should not be? I am not a trans guy. Help is appreciated.

46RH? What is the vehicle? I believe my 93 Dodge 4x4 has the 46RH. That's pretty much a 727 with overdrive. I had a problem with my truck, and I believe it was due to the bands needed adjustment. It would buck and stall going into reverse. I did a fluid and filter change and adjusted the bands. It's OK now. Factory manual calls for band adjustments at some interval, but mine had never been done. Truck has 134K original miles.

This does not happen all the time. As the car is coming to a stop the engine rpms come way down till the engine starts to buck, and the engine will die as it stops if I dont put it in neutral. It feels like the torque converter is in lock up when it should not be.

Here is the thing, I have a switch under the dash to kill the power to the lock up and overdrive solenoids. The power is off when this problem is happening. If I just cruise around normally this problem does not happen, it will always happen after a quick trip to 5000RPM, and then slowing to a stop.

Could it be from the high line pressure at high rpm is pushing through the de energized, but faulty, lock up solenoid engaging the lock up converter when it should not be? I am not a trans guy. Help is appreciated.
Might try watching some precision transmission videos on youtube. If I remember right they talked about a problem with something in the valve body causing issues with lockup. What you described may be possible as the lockup clutch on the converter is held in place by hydraulic pressure.

Auto Transport Service
Back