• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

470 back from dyno

wagonman

Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
440 Source kit with Trick Flow 240s, Comp XE 282s-10. Source roller rocker kit a Smith push rods. TQ 485 @ 3300 and peak 546@ 4200. HP 478 @ 5000. Tightened up lash 0.002 and gained 15HP. Running a 750 a with a Wieand dual plane. looks like the cork is in the maifold and carb. happy with the torque but wanted a bit mor HP. will get installed then play around with it later.

440 Source kit with Trick Flow 240s, Comp XE 282s-10. Source roller rocker kit a Smith push rods. TQ 485 @ 3300 and peak 546@ 4200. HP 478 @ 5000. Tightened up lash 0.002 and gained 15HP. Running a 750 a with a Wieand dual plane. looks like the cork is in the maifold and carb. happy with the torque but wanted a bit mor HP. will get installed then play around with it later.

Although I am a fan of those older style dual plane intakes, especially on mild 383s, it is likely hurting your 470 no small amount. I would not be surprised if you added an open hole spacer and milled the divider down on your Weiand you'd add 20+ hp. The RPM would be a better choice overall, IMO

Also think it would respond well to an old school 4781 (850 dp) or small venture 950 HP carb.

I would not be disappointed with those numbers considering how the motor has been hand cuffed.

Last edited:
Small carb and intake. You’re still thinking 383-400

Looks like a mismatch of parts currently. The old single planes work well on the stroker motors. I run a Tm6 on my 511. It’s small enough to have great street manners but will flow enough to let the engine work decently.. 470 should be able to handle an 850 as long as it has the converter and gear. RPM as mentioned above is a good choice also with a tighter converter and less gearing. Judging by your cam choice I would think a small single plane would fit the bill.

Small carb and intake. You’re still thinking 383-400

Looks like a mismatch of parts currently. The old single planes work well on the stroker motors. I run a Tm6 on my 511. It’s small enough to have great street manners but will flow enough to let the engine work decently.. 470 should be able to handle an 850 as long as it has the converter and gear. RPM as mentioned above is a good choice also with a tighter converter and less gearing. Judging by your cam choice I would think a small single plane would fit the bill.

Yup. This too. Old school single plane probably add even a few more ponys up top over the RPM.

There’s def a cork somewhere........ the long block will easily make over 500hp.
It peaked(hp) at a really low rpm.

What’s the CR, and what sized headers were used?

I’d need a refresher on the whole combo, but I’m thinking a Holley SD or M1 single plane and a carb with a bigger Venturi would wake it up.

At the risk of racing dynos(and I’m a firm believer in different dynos often show different results).....
446, e streets with guides honed and seats touched up(zero porting), spring upgrade, short duration-high lift hyd roller, Torker 2, 1-7/8” headers, sniper EFI, pump gas:

E181CA0F-A672-49DC-8A59-64895F154808.jpeg

Similar numbers with my 383/432 Stroker

E Street 75cc Heads - 10.5-1 Compression
Comp XE Cam

I am running the Weiand Action Plus and a Carter AVS 750cfm from a 70 440 HP that I rebuilt and rejetted

Just runs so damn good at idle and off idle through 5,500 Rpms on the street , Torque , afraid to mess with it trying a different carb and intake

At the risk of racing dynos(and I’m a firm believer in different dynos often show different results).....
446, e streets with guides honed and seats touched up(zero porting), spring upgrade, short duration-high lift hyd roller, Torker 2, 1-7/8” headers, sniper EFI, pump gas:

View attachment 721100
Where did you end up for timing ?

Well a few things we tried,went to a 870 street avenger 84 jets squared and got our best with tourqe as posted. then a 950 HP with 94s in the rear, seemed lazy with about 10 down on HP and TQ. Went back to the 850 SA and advanced timing 2 degrees from a safe base of 35 total no vaccum advance on any tests. Picked up about 10 HP but was down on TQ 20 ftlbs. Headders are Hooker 2 in Super Comp fender wells. After about 10 pulls we checked the plugs and they look like new with no evidence of a tan hue beliving us to think it needs some more fuel. 10.5 -1 compression. I have access to a few intakes and will try a Rpm and a TM6 to see if it wakes it up. Not a big fan of the SA carbs as I have heard they are lean out of the box. It is going in my Duster so 550 torque should be fun. With the solid cam we are leaving some test data on the table only running to 5500. Next tests will be Butt dyno as this is getting spendy. Basiclly just wanted to break it in and get a base line #s. It sounds real snotty and seems to rev like a street bike. So far a Happy camper.

Well a few things we tried,went to a 870 street avenger 84 jets squared and got our best with tourqe as posted. then a 950 HP with 94s in the rear, seemed lazy with about 10 down on HP and TQ. Went back to the 850 SA and advanced timing 2 degrees from a safe base of 35 total no vaccum advance on any tests. Picked up about 10 HP but was down on TQ 20 ftlbs. Headders are Hooker 2 in Super Comp fender wells. After about 10 pulls we checked the plugs and they look like new with no evidence of a tan hue beliving us to think it needs some more fuel. 10.5 -1 compression. I have access to a few intakes and will try a Rpm and a TM6 to see if it wakes it up. Not a big fan of the SA carbs as I have heard they are lean out of the box. It is going in my Duster so 550 torque should be fun. With the solid cam we are leaving some test data on the table only running to 5500. Next tests will be Butt dyno as this is getting spendy. Basiclly just wanted to break it in and get a base line #s. It sounds real snotty and seems to rev like a street bike. So far a Happy camper.

What ended up being the best combination, and what were the numbers?

What was the venturi size on the 950?

When I'm focusing on best WOT (best et and mph) the plugs are usually ash white.

Is this an 8008 intake? If so, that’s a huge choke on a 470 stroker with those heads. I would think a good single plane intake would improve hp and tq all through out the pull just by allowing more air flow.

I wonder what the new TF intake and an EFI would do for you. Most of the EFI’s can self adjust from the flow of a small 2bbl “around town” to about 1050 cfm based on need.

When I went from a 750 Holley vac carb to my fitech, the top end really woke up. Above 4500-5000 it’s a different car.

The few times I’ve tested with fenderwell headers, the peak hp usually came at an earlier than expected rpm.

Had I tested it here, with a decent single plane, well sorted carb, and non-fenderwell headers........ I’d have been expecting more like 525-550hp.

But, that would be different “stuff”, and on a different dyno.

With the solid cam we are leaving some test data on the table only running to 5500.

I assume the 478@5000 was the peak..... what did it do between 5000 and 5500?

Last edited:
470 here as well

Where did you end up for timing ?

My experience has been that combos using Ede heads aren’t very fussy for timing.
This one was no different.
I think it was at 36* in the end.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good build

But for me I would like to see 6xx out of my 470 build

My experience has been that combos using Ede heads aren’t very fussy for timing.
This one was no different.
I think it was at 36* in the end.

The few iron head motors I've done liked more and more timing, like 40°+. On my 508, with Eddys, tried everything from 32 to 38. Seemed like the results were same within the reproducibility of the dyno.

Last edited:
I ended up around 34 total on my 432 with Eddy Heads
93 Octane in WI Summer blend

Sounds like you're going to have fun!
Best of luck!
Thanks for the report.

Auto Transport Service
Back