• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

489/c-eliminator order of operations?

jeepthrills01

Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
I have a pieced together extra 489 3rd member. Unused older set from US gear, carrier with new bearings, and a crush eliminator/bearing kit from Cass.
I have a set up bearing.
So is it:
1)Pinion preload
2) pinion depth
3)backlash
4) check pattern/readjust as needed

Or

1)depth w/o sleeve.but snug.
2)backlash
3)pattern
4)preload

Thanks yall

Last edited:
Depth and pattern will work together. When doing that the pinion should have light preload. Once you are happy with the pattern you can set final pinion preload. Final backlash and side bearing preload would be last.

Last edited:
Be aware that your old, now set up bearings may not match your replacement bearings in thickness. Both of my replacement bearings were a few thousands narrower than the old, set up bearings. I figured I would have to deal with just the opposite - due to wear the old bearings would measure a little narrower than the new ones. But, I was wrong. When I made an allowance in pinion depth shimming based on the difference in bearing thickness, from the pattern it looked like it came out pretty good. But it didn’t work so well on setting final pinion preload. I had to pull the yoke and front bearing several times to add more shims to get my preload up.

I did adjust my shims for new bearing preload when trying to set up my pattern. But I only used maybe 80 or 90 ft/ lbs torque. That left me wondering if maybe one bearing cup wasn't quite seated fully until I finally put about 190 ft-lbs on it during final assembly, which might explain why my pinion preload shimming seemed to be off so much. Fortunately I polished the front bearing seat area on the yoke and the inner bearing hub so that pressing the yoke out wasn’t quite as tough as with the full .003 interference fit or whatever it was.

If you bought 2 sets of bearings from the same manufacturer - 1 for set up and 1 for final assembly then I would think you should be good.

Auto Transport Service
Back