• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

489 stroker build, cam & TC choice

El.Padrino

Local time
8:17 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

...another what-cam-thread!

I am building a stroked 383 to 489 (.030“) engine, street application only with aluminum ported heads 84CC 310-315cfm, 1.5 rockers, EDE Performer RPM dual plane and atm 750 carb (update to 850 later), 1-7/8 headers. 10.5:1.
727 trans and 3.54 gears (suregrip).

Oh and power brakes (front discs).

Asked a lot of cam manufacturers and got recommended twice the Lunati 10230704LK.
What do you think of this combo? I would maybe add a vacuum reservoir..

And for the torque converter what would you guys recommend me? Stall, size and manufacturer?
Summit suggested me the Hughes Street Master Torque (HUP-24-25) with 2500 stall.

As said, street driver and tire smoker vehicle.

Thanks,

Kevin

Bigger motors want more camshaft. The Lunati 10230705 Might be better, or the Comp XE 285 HL. For converters call Dynamic or Ultimate. One of either of their 10" would be great. Tell them what you got & what you're going to do with it.

You are probably well advised to give Dwayne Porter at PRH a call, especially given the Stroke Characteristic on the relatively small bore ?
That guy has literally HUNDREDS of Custom Cam Grind usage experience with BB Mopars, which, you are also IMO best advised at this point having not bought anything yet ? to seriously consider a Custom Grind vrs money you will spend anyway on an "off the shelf" Cam ?

You are probably well advised to give Dwayne Porter at PRH a call, especially given the Stroke Characteristic on the relatively small bore ?
That guy has literally HUNDREDS of Custom Cam Grind usage experience with BB Mopars, which, you are also IMO best advised at this point having not bought anything yet ? to seriously consider a Custom Grind vrs money you will spend anyway on an "off the shelf" Cam ?

Haven't bought anything yet because I made no decision so far. I will get in touch for a custom grind and ask for the specs.

An experienced builder with access to the "back room guys" can give you a better cam than the off the shelf stuff.

I’m running almost the exact combo, with that same cam. 451 stroker, Rpm intake, 1-7/8 headers, 727, 440 Source heads, 1.5:1 ductile iron rockers, forged Ross pistons 10.2:1, Fitech EFI. Though I’m running manual brakes.

It’s a great cam. Engine pulls hard from idle right up to 6000. You’d be fine with a step up in duration, but I wouldn’t go smaller - no need, this cam is just fine off idle.

I went with a converter from Frank Lupo at Dynamic Converter. He set me up with a street strip converter that behaves very well cruising at low rpm. But when I hit it, it flashes to just over 4000 and goes like hell.

I’m running almost the exact combo, with that same cam. 451 stroker, Rpm intake, 1-7/8 headers, 727, 440 Source heads, 1.5:1 ductile iron rockers, forged Ross pistons 10.2:1, Fitech EFI. Though I’m running manual brakes.

It’s a great cam. Engine pulls hard from idle right up to 6000. You’d be fine with a step up in duration, but I wouldn’t go smaller - no need, this cam is just fine off idle.

I went with a converter from Frank Lupo at Dynamic Converter. He set me up with a street strip converter that behaves very well cruising at low rpm. But when I hit it, it flashes to just over 4000 and goes like hell.

What cam are you referring to now?

Are you running stock stealth heads?
I messaged Frank and waiting for his answer on the TC specs.

Did you dyno’d your setup?

IMO, The Lunati 10230705 may feel like it's still pulling hard right to 6,000 rpm ?
But unless you did some pretty substantial Port work in both the Stealths and the rpm Intake, THAT Cam is ALL DONE at 5,600-5,700 rpm, and even that's giving it a bit if the Stealth's and rpm are OOTB.
I've Engine Dyno'd that Cam many times in far better combo's, you didn't ask but here is a tip for you, SHIFT at 5,700 rpm and you'll go 1.5 Tenths quicker in the 1/4,
and NO....
if it was still pulling on a "chassis" Dyno past 5,700 all you were seeing is the Trq Converter carrying it.... the engine is still on the downside of the power curve.

What cam are you referring to now?

Are you running stock stealth heads?
I messaged Frank and waiting for his answer on the TC specs.

Did you dyno’d your setup?

I’m referring to the lunati you posted. Nah never dyno’d it. Street car.

IMO, The Lunati 10230705 may feel like it's still pulling hard right to 6,000 rpm ?
But unless you did some pretty substantial Port work in both the Stealths and the rpm Intake, THAT Cam is ALL DONE at 5,600-5,700 rpm, and even that's giving it a bit if the Stealth's and rpm are OOTB.
I've Engine Dyno'd that Cam many times in far better combo's, you didn't ask but here is a tip for you, SHIFT at 5,700 rpm and you'll go 1.5 Tenths quicker in the 1/4,
and NO....
if it was still pulling on a "chassis" Dyno past 5,700 all you were seeing is the Trq Converter carrying it.... the engine is still on the downside of the power curve.

I’m sure you’re right. Just a street car and just my seat of the pants opinion.

Also went with Frank Lupo, 3000 stall behind the 440. Great TC

You have been talking about a step up in cam to the Lunati 10230704 as @66Satellite47 suggested theComp XE285HL. It's 241/247 @ .050 and just a tad smaller than the Lunati 10230705 (242/252 @ .050).
XE285HL still power brake friendly?

You have been talking about a step up in cam to the Lunati 10230704 as @66Satellite47 suggested theComp XE285HL. It's 241/247 @ .050 and just a tad smaller than the Lunati 10230705 (242/252 @ .050).
XE285HL still power brake friendly?

Not sure about the power brakes, I have manual.

Auto Transport Service
Back