• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4spd shifters

ukieone

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
whats everyone using for console shifters? in my 65 coronet I'm using a 66 hurst shifter but I'm afraid that on hard 2 to 3 shifts knuckles will hit dash. any pics of what is working for you? thanks in advance.

I know this thread is over a year old but I have a 65 Coronet that I used one of the long Hurst sticks and looks like I had the same problem with my hand coming real close to the dash , plus the shifter throw was real long . I did not have a console in my car but I changed the whole shifter and handle to a comp shifter with a straight stick with the bracket that moves the shifter up and back . But then I had to lean forward to shift from 1st and third gear , I found a Hurst stick with a curve back toward the seat that works perfectly .
First pic shows straight stick
Second pic shows stick in first gear
Third pic shows stick in second gear
No more leaning forward to change gears
Try looking for a stick that moves the shifter know back and maybe shorter .
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_2689.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG

Hurst 4084 Chrome Plated Steel Replacement Shifter Stick This is the shifter handle I’ve used in my 64 & 65 with a console. If no console check Brewers for part numbers. They aren’t easy to find used...if you’re looking for a used one I suggest you post in the WYB thread on this site.

Vertigate! :D
would be the same distance to dash, my 66 had the comp. shifter and it was a strain on the back leaning forward all the time, 69 runner had the long shifter handle that was very comfy,but throws were 8-9" was my highway car so didn't matter!

Been awhile but don't remember a Vertigate having a long throw......or getting close to the dash. :D

nice looking set up. I used a 66 hurst shifter and put a slight bend in it and it works good. same shifter brewers recommended. thanks all.

Auto Transport Service
Back