• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4speed with transmission cooler in the radiator. is this correct

Iucgroup

Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
I have a 68 Charger H code engine 4 speed I’m looking for an original radiator. I thought I found one but it has the trans cooler for an automatic. The seller told me that all 68’s have the transmission cooler. Seam’s strange

Not from new. But aftermarket replacement may have them so one size fits both transmission applications.
Ok this seller is telling me that from the factory the radiator for an auto or 4 speed were the same

Most of them we’re the same manual and auto, the factory put plugs in the cooler fittings.

1970 383 b-body 22” wide had a 4 speed specific radiator without a cooler.

Most of them we’re the same manual and auto, the factory put plugs in the cooler fittings.

1970 383 b-body 22” wide had a 4 speed specific radiator without a cooler.
thanks for confirming

Ok this seller is telling me that from the factory the radiator for an auto or 4 speed were the same
I deleted my post. I was wrong my parts manual shows no difference between transmissions.

I have a 68 Charger H code engine 4 speed I’m looking for an original radiator. I thought I found one but it has the trans cooler for an automatic. The seller told me that all 68’s have the transmission cooler. Seam’s strange
FYI....my 1970 GTX, RS23V0A******, is an origional 4 speed car, equipped with the A34 super track pack option: front disc brakes, Dana 60 4.10:1 rear gears AND the max cooling package (# 2998956 radiator, torque drive fan clutch, PS pump oil cooler). The origional radiator has the auto transmission oil cooler in the bottom tank. When I replaced the original radiator (due to leaks and old age) with one from Glen-RAY Radiator, Bob (the owner) said ALL the MAX cooling radiators were equipped with the automatic transmission oil cooler in the bottom tank, regardless of whether it was used or not. My replacement max cooling radiator from Glen-RAY was built this way, with part number and date code as it was built when new.....to me, expensive but absolutely worthwhile.....
BOB RENTON

Glen-Ray are the best Thanks for confirming what Bob had told me!

Where do the coolant lines connect to the 4-speed?
Obviously they don't... Auto or manual use the same radiator but on manual trans applications the cooler ports in the bottom tank of the radiator are plugged from the factory...

Auto Transport Service
Back