• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5/16 fuel line w/440 mag?

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
So here's one that doesn't seem to be the norm when it comes to fuel systems of the day. Had the 68 Charger R/T numbers matching 440/727 since '87 with 77k miles at that time. Never touched anything with the fuel system basically from the pump back to the tank, nor did I have any issues with it. I would like to eventually replace the original tank and lines at some point, but knowing I have 5/16 fuel line (measured .32") with 1/4 return I cant seem to find a sending unit with that same setup, only 3/8 with 1/4. The underside including the tank and fuel lines still have the original undercoating on it as well as the crimp clamps so I seriously doubt it was ever changed since day 1. My question is--is there a 5/16 sending unit available with a return or am I looking at getting a 3/8 unit, 3/8 lines and a new 3/8 inlet stock pump? I only have about 100 miles on the new engine so I'm hoping I don't need to toss the pump already, especially having everything recently restored to factory appearance. Since the sender still functions great I guess I can always reuse it with a new sock and retain the 5/16 setup.

20200415_170424.jpg

So here's one that doesn't seem to be the norm when it comes to fuel systems of the day. Had the 68 Charger R/T numbers matching 440/727 since '87 with 77k miles at that time. Never touched anything with the fuel system basically from the pump back to the tank, nor did I have any issues with it. I would like to eventually replace the original tank and lines at some point, but knowing I have 5/16 fuel line (measured .32") with 1/4 return I cant seem to find a sending unit with that same setup, only 3/8 with 1/4. The underside including the tank and fuel lines still have the original undercoating on it as well as the crimp clamps so I seriously doubt it was ever changed since day 1. My question is--is there a 5/16 sending unit available with a return or am I looking at getting a 3/8 unit, 3/8 lines and a new 3/8 inlet stock pump? I only have about 100 miles on the new engine so I'm hoping I don't need to toss the pump already, especially having everything recently restored to factory appearance. Since the sender still functions great I guess I can always reuse it with a new sock and retain the 5/16 setup.

View attachment 936693
If your gas gauge is working correctly, just pull the sending unit and replace the filter. A lot of the new units, and seals/lock rings are hit and miss.

Be careful taking the ground clip off. Take it off first before you wrestle with the hose clamps. The new ones aren't spring steel like the originals and don't hold well enough to keep a good connection.

I believe that the 68 -69 440 cars had the 5/16 fuel line with a 3/8 sender with the return line. The parts books that I have seen show the same pickup as the hemi for 440 cars starting in 1968.

I believe that the 68 -69 440 cars had the 5/16 fuel line with a 3/8 sender with the return line. The parts books that I have seen show the same pickup as the hemi for 440 cars starting in 1968.

Thats the way my 69 RT Charger 440 is set up it has 5/16 fuel line with a 1/4 return line and has a 3/8 sized sending unit. The short chunk of rubber hose off the sending unit absorbed the size change. Its kind of an odd ball setup if you ask me.

Thats the way my 69 RT Charger 440 is set up it has 5/16 fuel line with a 1/4 return line and has a 3/8 sized sending unit. The short chunk of rubber hose off the sending unit absorbed the size change. Its kind of an odd ball setup if you ask me.
Ok yes it seems odd that the factory wouldn't have everything uniform with respect to sending unit outlet vs hose size. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I would have eventually discovered what was used once I have it apart.

Wow I had no idea; I thought the fuel line was supposed to be 3/8" on the 440 cars...

Wow I had no idea; I thought the fuel line was supposed to be 3/8" on the 440 cars...

Me too. Adequate fuel delivery is critically dependent on good fuel flow on the suction side of the pump. Hard to believe Chrysler engineers would skimp there. But I can go overkill. My Satellite has 2 #8 lines from the cell to the filter, #10 filter to 140 GPH Mallory pump, #10 & 1/2" line to the regulator at the firewall, 2 #8 to the carb. Feed the beast is my moto. Obviously a stock 440 doesn't require this, but "too much is just right" applies for some things. Chasing poor fuel delivery/variable float levels is a bitch.

Auto Transport Service
Back