• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 48RE

Boomhauer440

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm working on pulling the 440 out of my Satellite to replace with a 5.7L. It will 90% just be a cruiser but I want to make it fairly spicy (600ish HP) My soft plan is to take the S300 Turbo off an old Cummins I have for use on the Hemi. The BB 727 will have to go obviously, so I've been pricing out converting to an 833 or Tremec. That truck does have an 850HP rated 48RE in it though and it would be nice to use what I've got instead of blowing money on a trans. Is there any reason that wouldn't work behind the Hemi. I can't seem to find anyone who's done it.

You could, but that bellhousing would need to be cut off and a small block bellhousing installed.

Hey guys. I'm working on pulling the 440 out of my Satellite to replace with a 5.7L. It will 90% just be a cruiser but I want to make it fairly spicy (600ish HP) My soft plan is to take the S300 Turbo off an old Cummins I have for use on the Hemi. The BB 727 will have to go obviously, so I've been pricing out converting to an 833 or Tremec. That truck does have an 850HP rated 48RE in it though and it would be nice to use what I've got instead of blowing money on a trans. Is there any reason that wouldn't work behind the Hemi. I can't seem to find anyone who's done it.
Welcome to FBBO ...maybe mosey on over to the Welcome Wagon and show us some pics of your ride....
upload_2020-6-21_20-29-26.png

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/forums/welcome-wagon.9/

Negative, the Gen 3 Hemi does, but not the Cummins.

You could use a later model 727 with OD, I forget the name, but there are some that are hydraulically controlled and some electronically controlled.

The 518, there it is.

I think that's where the confusion lies. The 48RE is an A618, which is a beefed up version of the A518, which is a beefed up 727 with OD. I had been told by someone that the Cummins uses a SB pattern so I just figured if I had this race tranny laying around it would be worth a shot.

A 48RE is fully computer controlled, the 618 is a governor and tv cable controlled unit with only overdrive controlled electronically. These both share the Cummins Bellhousing. The truck V-10 also has the same bellhousing and got the same trans as the diesel except for a higher stall speed torque converter with a different crank pilot. The 47RH and 47RE were the Diesel and V-10 transmissions in between the 618 and 48RE. The RH is hydraulic control with locking torque converter, the RE is computer controlled but still retains the TV cable. Confusing isn't it?

Auto Transport Service
Back