• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7-6.1 Hemi

ply64post

Seinor Member
Local time
5:33 PM
Reaction score
Need some input on what year engines [5.7 and 6.1] would be
the best because of manufacturing upgrades to install in an older
car.I would like to one of the two into a 78 volare wgn or a 64 Belvedere.

Thanks Jeff

From what I read...the 6.1 is the better engine but don't know anything about how either fit into the older cars. Last months Hot Rod has a pretty good writeup on both....

I would stay away from 5.7's older than 2005, I have seen one too many drop a valve seat and bingo, BANGO. I have seen quite a few in local shops for that reason alone, I really like the thought of putting a newer fuel injected motor in a old Mopar but man I have seen too many failures in the 5.7's to justify it.

It really doesn't matter the year of the engine, some have had problems, some are still going strong after 200000 miles.

I have a 5.7 in my truck and even after 100k it runs like new. These motors put out some serious power with just a couple of upgrades (cam, headers, tune). My father-in-law owns and salvage yard and sells 4X's as many Vortecs to repair shops then he does the Hemi. There is a slight problem with the valve ( i think it's the #7 intake) ticking. It has something to do with the seat. I got my truck with 66k and it has ticked since day one and never gave me any problems.

The ticking is from the pushrod being alittle short, put in 6.1 pushrods and that tick goes away.

Ok thanks, I'm not too worried about it though. I was just stating that was the only "major" problem with the new Hemis that I knew of.

Jeff, If money isn't an issue, I would go with the 6.1. But if not, 5.7 are a dime a dozen in salvage yards. Just remember some of the newer ones have the multi-displacement feature.

multidisplacement

bbcharger71

What year is the multidisplacement feature used and is it an
issue if installed in an older car? I'm not sure which direction
I will take as far as fuel injection or carburation.

Thanks for any Help
Jeff

I think 05 was when the multi-displacement came out and i'm not sure if it is an issue with these swaps or not. I think you can reprogram the PCM to delete it. Check out that link that Martin put up.

I would say this though, if your going through the trouble to put a new Hemi in your car, Go with the EFI. It will definately be worth it!

Auto Transport Service
Back